Saturday, July 7, 2012

SUMMER AT LAST!

Mike and I are excited for the forthcoming "Century Farm" event, July 14.We're getting ready. Mike has repaired and painted the porch posts, and everyday I cook something -- more about that later. The linen is all ready. Family photos adorn the mantel. Old sheet music waits on the piano. And some things -- like the slide show -- just aren't going to happen. I can tell you what I should have done -- like starting two years ago -- but it doesn't really matter.

It's 95 here - hot for the prairie. Despite what the weatherman says about hot temps and no precipitation, I watch the thunderheads build, and sometimes a brief shower passes through. As I said to Mike a moment ago, "I am moved to take a picture of those clouds." He laughed. It's supposed to be even warmer tomorrow with near record highs.

This afternoon Nellie and I carried water to the raised beds -- vegetables in one, strawberries in another, summer squash in the third. What rain we've had is not near enough in the heat. Back and forth to the cistern we walked. I don't mind and neither does she. The hose is connected but the force is too strong. I prefer to water with my old fashioned watering can.

And then -- on one of my trips, I noticed this red raspberry. Wouldn't it be great if the raspberries were ripe next weekend. Hallie and Nick could make some jelly. I think it's a bit optimistic myself.




I'm also watching the gooseberries. If they start to fall off, I'll pick them, but I'm hoping that Nick can do it. Not enough this year for jelly, but the bush shows promise of developing. Next year it will get a cage. The thorny mature branch is untouched but the tender young sprouts were munched by the deer.

Then there's the cherries -- just a few this year, and they are still green.I can't depend on "pie cherry lane" either because they're logging over there.



Sometimes a body just has to take a break from the rigors of life and examine his new tent. KW


8 comments:

Hallie said...

The trim around the base of the port posts is a nice touch. Is Dad preparing to yard camp with us? I don't recall his need for a new tent.

Kathy said...

He lost his tent in "The Great Motorcycle Debacle of 2012." He has replaced with a "Big 5" special -- probably inadequate. Water resistant but not waterproof.

He removed the facing pieces from the bottom of the posts and applied new molding -- much better.

Chris said...

What a great post! I feel like I'm right there with you. I watered our squash plants with a watering can tonight, too. I'll admire the paint job next Saturday. :-)

We've become overcast and I can tell it's not going to cool off tonight. When I went out to get the flag (I love flying it all week), the clouds and the last rays of light made the sky look all purplish and black. I've even wondered if I've heard some thunder in the last few minutes.

Regarding the party: no matter how early you start, something(s) never get done because there's always another idea. It will be perfect.

Leah said...

What a busy family! Is that a "fake snake" thing near the gooseberry bush?

I found a wonderful spray nozzle last year. One setting is just right for delicate plants. Check your Home Depot for the Melnor 5 pattern watering nozzle. Only $4.97. I love mine.

Your party plans sound wonderful. What an honor for the Dobson family (and both of you). This celebration will live long in the Dobson family history.

Leah said...

I'm not really crazy. Got a message from Blogger that there was a glitch. My message was still unposted (from my view). So I did some editing and posted it only to find out that my message had become two. Oh well. Better twice than never.

Kathy said...

No worries, Leah. I deleted your first comment to take advantage of your editing. We have readers who refuse to deal with the process of commenting. We appreciate those who are brave.

I'll talk to Mike about a better nozzle. We water from the cistern, and we have to be careful because of the electric pump, but if he says I can have a more restrictive nozzle, I'll get one.

You were right, Chris. It didn't cool off. It was 68 at 7:00 a.m. and 45 minutes later it was 73. We closed windows and I took Nellie for a walk. I won't bake today. And you probably did hear thunder.

Yes, the Dobson family is gone --all of them. What up with that? How could they leave me here with this? I'm doing the best I can to evoke them . . .

Leah said...

Gee. I didn't think about deleting one of my posts. Have never done that. Thanks, Kathy.

And the fake snake is what? In my mind or a type of critter "scarecrow."

Kathy said...

I forgot to explain the fake snakes. Rubber snakes seem to come and go, so when I saw them at the Dollar Tree recently, I bought a few as bird deterrents. Mike says that while they might work with the birds, they probably won't scare the the deer. As with any scarecrow, I don't know if any critter is really deterred.