Sunday, July 15, 2012

DOBSON CENTURY FARM CELEBRATION


 It started quietly. (Son Milo was yard camping.)
Half-brother Chuck and his wife Joanne slice strawberries for shortcake. Their help was invaluable as we prepared for the picnic. Chuck and Joanne came from Utah at my request, since Chuck was my dad's helper at the farm as he grew up. It was good that he was here. I know he answered questions.
Let the eating commence. We were blessed with a cooler day.
Kathy visits with the guests. My oldest, dearest friend Chris and her husband Dan brought her parents, which was very special. An online friend made the trip from the Palouse -- first time we've met in person. P.E.O. sisters came from the Valley. Neighbors and old fiends dropped by. It was a great time. We loved every minute.
Telling it like it was --I hope. I couldn't let them leave without their history lesson. The prepared 20-minute speech became an impromptu 5-minute talk. I know they were happier with that.
On behalf of the Idaho State Historical Socieity, Dr. Earl Bennett presents a plaque signed by Governor Butch Otter and our steel "century farm" sign guaranteed to last 100 years if we keep it out of the weather.
Our family gathers to receive the honor on behalf of Julian and Ina Dobson. (Kathy and Mike; Clint, Milo, Hallie)
A beautiful sky caps a beautiful day. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

It was a wonderful day! We all had such a good time and enjoyed the beauty and quietness of the farm. Yes, even with all the people, there was a sense of peace and timelessness. From this guest's standpoint, it was perfect! Hope you are all recovering and have had time to put your feet up and reflect on a job well done! :-)

Leah said...

So glad to hear about the big event & see photos. What a lot of planning went into this special day. And such a nice turnout. The guests who visited for the first time were surely impressed with the sparkling house & well kept grounds. It does photograph well. I only wish I could have been there, but I'm 1,095 miles away. Your family's history will always have this special day to point to. Congratulations. Good job!

More photos?

Kathy said...

It was so special that you came, Chris, and I will get back to Dan about the clearing of the land. I'm of the opinion that there just isn't enough written about certain historical facets of the inland Pacific Northwest.

Hi Leah! We had about 50 guests. It was terrific. Wonderful things happened, other plans were overlooked. And it was over in a flash. If I had it to do again . . . Well, one can always think about those things.

Actually, the lawn is full of weeds and rodent holes. Mike used to want a beautiful lawn here and I told him to forget it -- just mow and trim.

I looked through the pictures again and deemed them more of the same. I showed the best of the best. However, Nick's mother came from central Washington and I saw her taking pictures. And it's possible some additional views will be forthcoming.