Tuesday, October 30, 2012

LIFE'S ADVENTURES



As we traveled the route to Denver, we made frequent stops to “grab a cache.” We figure it’s good for us – and especially good for the dog. We were disappointed that the cache seemed to be missing at several sites.

In Utah, where we turned off I84 to I80E, we immediately exited to Echo Canyon Road, obviously the old road running parallel to I80 for ten miles or so. The cache site was great – an historic site with a wide parking spot. However, a trucker hauling hogs had parked his rig there, and the aroma emitting from the truck was less than pleasant. No sign of the operator – he was probably asleep in his rig. I couldn’t blame him too much for choosing this isolated spot rather than parking at a public rest area where I’m sure he isn’t popular. I commented to Mike that life with him is certainly an adventure. “Isn’t it though!” was the comeback.
 
I didn’t pay too much attention to the historical marker. Mike followed clues as he searched the sign for the cache, but we had no luck finding it and figured it was gone.  

We wore Emmy out yesterday and she slept in this morning, but as soon as she had eaten her breakfast we were out to geocache again. It’s great that within the city are parks and fields where the dog is welcome, too.

We also took time to shop. I have been looking for a Cuisinart stand mixer to replace my old Oster Kitchen Center which is worn out. (Actually, I wore mine out years ago. The one I’m using was my mother’s.) Today was my lucky day. We found the Cuisinart at Bed Bath and Beyond and ordered it shipped.


 
Here are more pictures of geocaching with Emmy. She loves it. Big M and Little Em search the tree for a cache while Kelly looks on the other side.



This cache was hard to find. We all looked -- and someone found it.



Yancey and Little Em practice "The Hummingbird," a yoga move to massage the shoulders. 

To the right, Little Em chooses a treasure from the cache to trade while Big M does the paperwork. Note the shirt -- machine embroidery by Gramma Kathy.
And here's Emmy posing on a frog statue at a park.


Tonight the family will accompany Jack to his Boy Scout Halloween costume party. I suppose we could call it the first official Halloween event. KW

6 comments:

Leah said...

Maybe the family could set up geocaches around the yard & house for Emmy to practice after you go back home. Solving a geocache puzzle is good brain stimulation, right Mike?

Of course the obvious benefit for geocaching is getting outdoors & getting exercise.

Chris said...

Fun, fun, fun!! :-)

Hallie said...

The picture of the pigs through the window is just stunning! I shall not think of where the pigs are headed.

Leah said...

The poor guy who drives the pig truck has a hard life. He probably smells like pigs when he comes home. When his kids have a "Bring your dad to school day" no one wants to hear about a dad who drives a truckload of pigs to the slaughter house.

What he does have going for him is that he has a job and some people don't right now.

Leah said...

Wow! I just this minute discovered that I'm related to a founder of the Singer Sewing Machine Co. In 1851 Isaac Merritt Singer and Edward S. Clark (1811-1882)of Cooperstown, NY founded the Co. Edward is my 2nd cousin 5x removed.

The Clark line goes back through my father's side & his paternal great grandmother, a Clark.

The sewing gene was missing when I was born. Kathy sure does have the talent and I know she'll say that it was because her mother sewed and helped her through the learning process. But she had the interest and makes some truly wonderful pieces.

Kathy said...

You must be psychic, Leah. There's actually a collaborative effort as I write to set out a new geocache. (I feel a new post coming on.)

I didn't give thought to where the pigs were headed either, Hallie. And the truck didn't look like the greatest vehicle either.

Well, Leah, undoubtedly Mr. Clark was more businessman / mechanic than sewist. And I think it's always true that no matter what our talents, it's practice that makes perfect.