Tuesday, October 2, 2012

OCTOBER 1 -- A VISIT TO GOODWILL



I didn’t tell you this, but two weeks ago today I bit down on a corn chip and found “tooth stuff” in my mouth. The back of a front bottom tooth had chipped off.  Unfortunately my dentist had just commenced a two-week vacation and the appointment was scheduled for Monday, October 1. I was sorry I couldn’t have the tooth fixed prior to Elderberry Fest, but it worked out because Nick and Hallie needed to be back in Seattle Sunday evening anyway.

So, we left the farm in our separate vehicles Sunday forenoon. I don’t know what Nick and Hallie experienced on Gilbert Grade, but we must have met 25 vehicles, and that constitutes “heavy traffic.” I thought of the Lewis County Fair at Nezperce and Mike seemed to agree but opined that there must be a lot of people with nothing much to do. Our newspaper then reported that 3500 people attended the “combine demolition derby,” which was indeed an event of the fair. For the village of Nezperce, population 600, that’s a lot of visitors. I’m sorta glad we went on a quieter day, but I also rejoice that the little town has found a draw. At least some of those folks purchased the fair food and enjoyed the exhibits.

Anyway, my tooth problem proved to be an easy fix. Half an hour and I was on my way. But where should I go? The dentist’s office is located very near Goodwill, and Monday is senior discount day (20%). I was there!

What fun! Goodwill is ready for Halloween decorating and costuming. I care not for the costumes, but I love the odds and ends of this and that. I have a little collection of Halloween ceramics and such, and this was my kind of shopping.

They had lots of brand new “Mainstays” (brand) items, so a Walmart store someplace must have donated last year’s leftover Halloween stock. Banners and wall hangings of felt originally marked $5.99 at Walmart last year were priced at $1.99 at Goodwill this year, and I wonder if it will move even at that. And there was more, too – lots of plastic stuff – but it wasn’t what I was looking for. I moved to the used cutesy ceramics. (My true “colors” are showing.)

My favorite purchase is this pumpkin teapot. I had hoped to find this prior to Elderberry Fest, but I didn’t see one at a price I liked – until today at Goodwill. The first one I picked up was marked $4.99, and I thought that was too much given that it had a little chip. Looking further I found this one – a little larger, a little more detailed, clearly not new, and no price on it. I put it in my cart. “$1.99,” said the cashier. “I’ll take it,” I said.

And there were other things, too. The little houses will fit right in with my collection. And when I see odd pieces that match my dishes at the farm (purchased at a grocery store), I pick them up. So I bought the platter for $.99. You never know -- it might come in handy.

$6.87 was the grand total for all this fun. And I was ready to take my treasures and go home – once again inspired. KW

6 comments:

Chris said...

Wow did you score!! I especially love the teapot. Platters come in handy for all kinds of things--you'll use it a lot. It was obviously your day! :-)

M/W said...

There's just nothing like a good deal especially if it's something you really like.

M/W said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leah said...

I'm with you, ceramics & china are what I want at garage sales, except I never go to them. Gave up garage sales & 2nd hand stores years ago when I realized that I had everything I want or need. You did great. Love love love the teapot.

When I cleaned out my mother's place in Denver 7 years ago, a friend of hers asked if she could buy one of mother's china sets. When I told her that the set with pretty blue flowers came from a grocery store she wouldn't believe me. It wasn't a known brand & I knew how mother had collected all the pieces. While cleaning out mother's stuff, I found the flyer from the grocery store & showed the woman. She thought I was selling it too low and after she saw where it came from, she agreed to the low price.

Hallie said...

The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies. are you going to start juicing and/or smoothie-ing? Do they have "green" smoothies made with leafy greens? That was a good day!

Kathy said...

I, too, have most everything I need -- just not everything I want. (LOL) I rarely bought things for the home when we were raising a family, so I now enjoy the freedom to do so. However, the sense of value still kicks in. An item from a thrift store can go back to the thrift store when I finish with it.

Hallie -- I bought the book of juices and smoothies for you to peruse, though I do have a juicer that we should be using. It has 365 recipes -- natural blends for health and vitality every day. The author, Natalie Savona, is a British nutritionist. The book was published in London. And yes, she uses kale, sweet potato, spinach, celery, parsley -- all those good ingredients.

The book has obviously been purchased several times but still seems like new. It's looking for a home where its contents will be appreciated.