Saturday, November 2, 2013

"LAST DAY" OUTING



This next week will be tough as my inner clock adjusts to the fact that darkness will fall early and supper will be served late. (I think that's right.) But for today, Mike planned a nice outing for our last day of "long" afternoons.

Last week when we left the farm, we forgot to turn off the wall heaters in the upstairs rooms. No, we didn’t leave them on, but they come on automatically when the air is cold enough, so Mike turns them off at the breaker when the weather turns cold. No sense to heat the house when we aren’t there. And I also wanted to double-check what I might have left sitting near those heaters. Just one of those things that gets in your head and you worry a little.
 
So, Mike suggested we drive to the farm today, take care of the needful, exercise the dogs, then stop at the Mexican restaurant in Orofino for our supper.We didn't leave town until mid-afternoon.

We arrived at the farmhouse about 4:00 as the sun was already low in the sky. In that light, the landscape takes on a different appearance. Features seem to stand out. I just can’t describe it, but I took many pictures.  Adding to the drama was a changing sky as a storm passed by without dropping any rain.
 
Here the sun behind the grove casts long shadows across June's field.

While Mike righted the old church pew at the pond, I took this picture of the old barn.





As we walked the dogs, Mike took these pictures of the setting sun.

Dinner in Orofino was delicious. And as we drove back in the dark listening to "The Inner Sanctum," we saw two shooting stars. KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

Oooo, a perfect afternoon and evening! The pictures are gorgeous. We notice the same thing when we look at the hills from our house in the late fall afternoons. Such intensity of color and shape. Surreal is a word we often use. Mmmmm, we love that restaurant. So nice to have a good place to eat there.

Kathy said...

Surreal is a good word for that effect. I didn't think of it.

I just hated that I lost my formatting in that post. That sometimes happens when I import pictures before I finish writing. Since it was mostly about the picture -- and it was late and I was tired -- I didn't spend the time in attempting to fix it.

It IS a good place to eat. We're having the leftovers for supper tonight.

Chris said...

Yay! You didn't have to cook tonight, either! :-)

Kathy said...

That's right! I sliced a tomato and made guacamole. What could be better. And it was delicious!

dixiegrandma said...

I enjoy your descriptions of your daily events and how you manage to enjoy each day and make the most of each one. The pictures are gorgeous. Thanks.