Saturday, July 12, 2014

PAPA BEAR'S MATTRESS



Goldilocks was very tired by this time, so she went upstairs to the bedroom.  She lay down in the first bed, but it was too hard.  Then she lay in the second bed, but it was too soft.  Then she lay down in the third bed and it was just right.  Goldilocks fell asleep.

A cool early-morning breeze wafted through the window of our Gilbert, Idaho, home, belying the fact that it would be a very hot day. We get that sometimes at Gilbert.

“I love this mattress!” Mike exclaimed as he rolled out of bed. “It’s softer than the one in town. This is the mattress we want, and I’m calling the store.”

(Oh no! Not the dreaded call to the store!)

“Are you sure? Is that really necessary?” I asked.

“Can’t you tell the difference?” Mike countered.
 
“Not so’s I thought about it,” I said. Well, I did sorta think about it. I just pushed it out of my mind.

“We’ve had the town mattress for months now,” I added. (Five months, to be specific.)

“They should want me to be satisfied,” Mike continued. “When we get to town, I’m calling the store.”

To be honest, when we selected the mattress, I just went with what Mike wanted. While we were overdue for a new mattress, Mike was the one who basically said we should spend for comfort. But -- how can you really know just by lying on a mattress for a minute or two that it’s going to be a perfect fit for your body for the next seven (to twenty) years?

It was true, though, that the mattresses we ordered were supposed to be the same model, and Mike was saying that they weren’t. Back in town, we poked and punched at our mattress. It wasn’t just Mike’s imagination. We could both tell it really was firmer than the one at the farmhouse. And Mike had taken a liking to that softer cushion.

So, Mike placed a polite call to the furniture store. They wanted him to be happy, they said, and invited him to come to the store to check out the mattresses again.  (I had another errand – setting up my Medicare supplement -- and didn’t go with him. Maybe now people will stop talking to me about how old I am. I have no sense of humor about that.)

Long story short – An error occurred someplace, perhaps at the warehouse. The store will exchange the mattress for us next Thursday morning. KW


4 comments:

Hallie said...

What great fortune! So, which mattress was the one you actually ordered?

Kathy said...

We ordered the softer one. We were quietly disappointed about the one in town -- just thinking that it wasn't as good as we remembered.

The mattresses are made by Northwest Bedding out of Spokane and come in three levels of firmness. They all look the same -- same fabric, same color -- and there's nothing that denotes firm, firmer, firmest to the naked eye. It's probably coded in the numbers. In fact, Mike had an amusing experience at the store where the associate was confused as to which model was which.

Tell you what, though -- after three nights of sleeping here in town, I'm ready for the farm -- that lovely soft/firm mattress AND cooler temp. (It did not cool off in the valley last night.)

I'm so glad this has worked out.

Chris said...

I'm not sure which I find more amazing--Mike's bravery in calling the store or the store's willingness to replace the mattress! I'm glad you're getting what you ordered in the first place.

And just to let you know, this Medicare thing has driven me to distraction! Ack!!!

Kathy said...

Oh! Mike makes phone calls to explore options with the greatest of ease. I'm often amazed at what can be accomplished. But, I have found that his voice gets more results than mine. (I don't think we've quite outlived the era where the male voice commands more attention.)

Medicare: I have received so many official-looking forms from insurance companies trying to scare me into action -- dupe me, actually. It's terrible what companies and agencies do to us oldsters, preying on our forgetfulness and limited capacities. Fight back! Don't let them have you.