Sunday, May 12, 2019

MORE WORK (Thursday, May 9)


I was up at 5:00, dressed, and ready for the day.  Hallie was up and around by 6:30. The dogs are excited and impatient in the morning because Hallie gives each one a pig ear, her signature treats. It was breezy (10 mph) and cool (47).

After breakfast we were back at work. I broke my own rule and put away the contents of the kitchen drawers without cleaning to get it out of the way. I’ll have to do it later. Organizing the tableware and miscellaneous junk drawers has been a nightmare but four spring-loaded drawer dividers seem to work well. I’ll buy another set.

Hallie
I assigned Hallie to check the boxes in the den for the kitchen clock and toaster. She came up with the clock but not the toaster. I’m beginning to suspect that the toaster was a casualty of the dripping water in the kitchen. It probably had mold and got tossed, but no one said so. The toaster can be easily replaced, but the clock is a vintage item that someone gave Mike when we first moved in. I’m delighted to report that it still works and will again hang above the sink. I have missed it.

Mike arrived from town at 9:00 on his XT, which he will leave here. He was wearing a backpack with things we needed – charcoal so that we can grill pork chops for supper and dog food so that Bess can eat. (We thought we had more dog food than we did.)

Mike roasting hot dogs
Mike made a bonfire of the slash pile midway the lane, which was hot and burned quickly. Hallie and I talked him into letting us roast wieners for lunch. It feels so good to finally have that pile gone!

Hallie discovered spots on Primo’s belly. We’re concerned it’s ringworm. She made an appointment with her vet in Seattle.

My great fear finally came to pass. I was searching and searching for the toiletries only to discover I was overlooking them – in plain sight in the bathroom where they belong. I even knew they were there at one time but just forgot.

In the afternoon, Mike tackled the boxes in the den, which included a lot of vintage stuff we’ve been treasuring – record albums, VCR tapes, cassette tapes. We need to get rid of some of this stuff.

Hallie began systematically cleaning the floors, sometimes on her hands and knees. The ottoman I bought several years ago to set in front of the couch in the living room is now in the way of the new couch / recliners, so she and I moved it to the dining room under the window. This was “Plan B” when I bought it anyway.

Planting on the next place over
I was able to pull enough rhubarb to make half a cake. It smelled great as it was baking, and it was delicious.

Mike has searched for his missing ammo box for months and finally discovered it stashed inside an end table in the den. He’s still looking for his rechargeable drill. We have a list of items to discuss with the contractor, but basically we’re in pretty good shape.

Spraying
Farmer Kyle is planting on the adjacent property, and today they sprayed our place. As we went to bed, they were still working across the way to the north, not yet on our property. They don’t start early, but they will work late into the evening. KW




3 comments:

Hallie said...

The update is that Primo did NOT have ringworm, thankfully. The vet conjectured that it was more likely a bacterial infection like staph. She gave me a fancy shampoo to use on his affected undercarriage, but the spots had already responded quite well to the apple cider vinegar treatment. I have some regret about going to the vet given the expense, but I was paranoid about the possibility of it being ringworm, especially since that can pass from canine to human.

Kathy said...

We spent $100 at the vet's to treat Nellie's eye infection the week before she left us. It's kind of a live and learn thing. You know what they say -- "One grandmother is worth two pediatricians."

Chris said...

Glad no ringworm. Yes, it's contagious. Kathy, I love that motto!! (Or whatever it would be called in the literary world.)