Tuesday, May 21, 2019

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE RANCH . . .


Mike and I came back to the farmhouse yesterday (Monday, May 20) after having spent the weekend in town. I was right when I said it would be cold again. We have a fire in our fireplace insert, and having suffered through last night, I put extra bedding on the bed.

Let me tell you about the missing toaster. Long story short, Big Mike the Contractor reviewed his photos and said that the toaster was on the counter the first day we met but not in subsequent photos, which means that I took it. I don’t remember doing that, but I do know that the toaster in town wasn’t working well, and the toaster at the farmhouse was new, so I can accept that scenario.

Last Saturday while in town, I shopped Walmart to purchase a very long list of supplies, including a toaster and a waffle iron. I spent well over a hundred dollars, but when I got home, I realized I hadn’t bought the toaster or the waffle iron. And yes, I did check my list!

So, on Sunday, while Mike was out motocaching, I made yet another trip to Walmart. This time I started with the toaster and the waffle iron. And as I proceeded down a store aisle clutching my list, an elderly woman with very black hair approached me and said, “Don’t you just hate these senior moments?” What! Why was she talking to me? I politely replied that I can’t even get home with everything on my list, to which she responded, “I know it!”

We’re beginning to enjoy being here again. This is the first relaxed day we have had since we began the process of unpacking, sorting, and putting away. We have finally finished the tedious process of rehanging pictures on the walls, including things we had never hung here.

Scenes from Anderson's Fairy Tales
These hand-painted fairy tale tiles were a gift from my dad one Christmas. He so enjoyed reading fairy tales to me when I was a child, and I’m sure these plaques were meant as a remembrance of that special time. Hanging them was problematic because the “eyes” were flimsy and also allowed the wire to show. Mike inserted new “eyes,” and we hung them at the cubbyhole closet door in our room. KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I love the fairy tale tiles around the closet. Such a cheery spot of color!

Kathy said...

It was a happy thought to put them there. They were no easy to hang.