Wednesday, October 16, 2019

FALL IN FULL SWING

Sunday's trip to the farm was the first for our new Jeep -- and the first ride of any distance for me. It's amazing how much vehicles have changed since the Dakota was new 20 years ago -- or even the Magnum in 2006. I was pleasantly surprised that I can connect and play my iPod.  Of course, there are plenty of other more up-to-date media options.

While Mike was encouraging Blaze into the canyon (see previous post), I heated the oven and baked a batch of cookies to add a little extra warmth to the house. Within an hour, Mike had accomplished what he had thought might take several hours, or even more than one day, or perhaps wouldn't be accomplished at all. He was already having a good day by mid-morning and was then free to visit a neighbor, watch football, and take Bess for a hunt.


I, on the other hand, made elderberry jelly. As Hallie says, jelly-making is almost a two-person job. I missed her. Well, I can do it alone -- many people do. You just have to be organized. It was difficult because I had no Sure-Gel on hand and had to use Pomona's pectin, which isn't my favorite. It's a nice soft-set gel but doesn't call for much sugar, and in my opinion elderberry jelly isn't tasty without plenty of sugar. I'm also afraid I used too much water when I cooked the berries. I thought the jelly  lacked flavor, but Mike didn't seem to think so. Nevertheless, this batch just isn't up to my usual, and my reputation is at stake. A jar of this batch won't be going to the silent auction. I hope to make another batch soon.

I picked apples again in order to round out my sample bags for the apple detective. Last week we missed the trees on the place that was originally my great-uncle Ben Dickson's homestead. Late Sunday afternoon we rode over there cross country on the 4-wheeler and picked a sampling of those large and luscious apples. A few years ago the neighbor who now owns that property granted me permission to pick those apples, but she seemed really reserved and I felt there was something on her mind. Finally she said, "You know that apple tree just before you get to your lane? That's an awesome tree!" I guess the apples are always better in the neighbor's yard. (Oh yes -- I have a sampling from that tree for the apple detective as well.)


Farmer Kyle was seeding the neighbor's field and worked late into Sunday evening. All of his exterior lights were on. What a sight in this place!

It was gloriously wonderful to get up Tuesday morning and not see the horse in the yard.We are guardedly optimistic that we have guided him to a better place. I hope he gets the care he deserves. KW

6 comments:

Chris said...

Your new Jeep is beautiful!! Hope you're enjoying it and that it's fun to drive!

Kathy said...

Well, aside from the test drive, I haven't driven it. Now that we don't have the Magnum, I'm driving the GTI. Mike expects to use the Jeep for his hunting forays and phase out the Dakota.

Bess seems to enjoy looking out the windows as we ride along.

Chris said...

Oh, I thought it would be your new car, didn't realize the plan. So, are you enjoying the GTI?? Whippin' around town, music blasting?? (Yes, sometimes I do that!!)

Kathy said...

Of course, I'm going to drive the Jeep, but it wasn't purchased to be my car. The GTI is the around town vehicle. Mike just asked if I've gotten used to it. And again, I can start it and drive it, but God help me (no profanity intended) if my phone rings or I need to turn on the lights.

We have a Sirius subscription, but I can't find a program I like. I never thought I'd go for this, but I enjoy listening to NPR.

Chris said...

Does the GTI have automatic lights so you can just set it and forget about them? We've laughed ourselves silly since we bought our new Sequoia last year as we keep discovering new things about it. Just recently we discovered a button that automatically folds in the side mirrors! Too funny.

Kathy said...

Yes, the GTI does have automatic lights -- since you mention it. We got a free one-year subscription to Sirius radio, and they included the GTI on that. It's interesting that the GTI doesn't pick it up in the garage while the Jeep does. (Just a "fun" fact.)

I agree that there's a lot to discover in these vehicles. It just takes a while for me to be able to get a mental picture of the various screens involved. It's like a maze. And then when I want a certain screen, I can't find it.