Sunday, October 13, 2019

THE END OF THE HORSE TALE (WE HOPE) PART 4

 As planned we went to the farm today (Sunday) to try to vacate Blaze from our property.  Not to our surprise, there was another load of manure in the yard.

As soon as we unpacked 
the Jeep I got my tools and set out on the               4-wheeler.  I circled the south field but didn't see Blaze.  However, as I approached his old path through the fence I spied him along the fence line in front of me.  I stopped at his old entrance and he came down to see me.  He actually watched a while as I was removing the fence.  The fence is down an embankment so I lost sight of him as he moved north above the fence line.  When finished I got on the 4-wheeler and moved in the same direction looking for him.  Finally I spied him up in the woods above the field where I couldn't go with the 4-wheeler.  I dismounted and approached him on foot.  He doesn't really fear me so I can get within about five feet of him before he moves on.  So I kept herding him on foot back and forth until I got him back in the field and eventually down to the fence line.  We were still north of the opening and a time or two he went down the embankment trying unsuccessively to find a way over the fence.  Finally I got him down to his old trail down to the canyon.  

He stopped and looked it over a moment and then felt it was safe enough to cautiously proceed across the downed fence.  He seemed happy to get back to the canyon but not nearly as happy as I was.  Then I restored the fence and if he makes it back it will have to be a different route.  I returned to the house, cleaned up the manure in the yard and hit the Easy Button.  M/W

2 comments:

Hallie said...

Yaay! I hope Blaze gets a good meal and some pampering. I'm sorry to hear that the worker didn't think he was in good shape.

Chris said...

Here's hoping ol' Blaze is back where he belongs and is happy to stay there.