Sunday, June 6, 2010

KATHY’S HANDY-DANDY (HUGE) FANNY PACK

If you're one who's experienced geocaching with Mike, you probably understand. "Here –" he says, "you carry the notebook. And be sure to bring the camera." And then we're leaving the car, so I take my purse. And there I am – purse hanging on left shoulder, notebook in right hand, camera dangling from strap over wrist. Thus encumbered, I negotiate rocks, navigate through grass, sometimes hike a mile or more – all with a vague feeling of resentment. And then there's also walking Nellie in the summer or hiking along on the early autumn hunts when it's still hot. Nellie doesn't tolerate the heat well and needs water on hot days.

"I need a hiker's fanny pack," I explained to Mike. "One that's large enough to carry water, the notebook, the camera, and such items as I need from my purse." That was all he needed to begin a search for the right pack. Well, the choices were few, which always seems to be the case when you have criteria. Still, when it came it looked mighty big. I thought about returning it but decided that for all I wanted to carry, something smaller probably wouldn't work.

The weather has been unsettled with storm fronts passing through in waves. Typical of this time of year, though, when the sun is out, it's warm. When I took Nellie for her walk Friday afternoon, she cooled herself in a mud puddle. So on Saturday we tried the new pack, carrying water, a pie tin for her to lap from, and the camera.


I did find the pack cumbersome, so I left it in a secluded spot at the bottom of a hill. As we returned from our climb, Nellie got to the pack first and seemed to know it was water. She waited patiently as I poured water into the dish, then drank thirstily.

We're at the farm now, and this is another rainy day. The Snake River is over the levee bike path in low spots between Clarkston and Asotin. The Clearwater River is also high. Mike is out putting the blade back on the lawnmower. Nellie is asleep in front of the fire, and I'm just settling in. KW


7 comments:

Hallie said...

That's a lot of water to pack! I prefer a small backpack.

debdog42 said...

And as for the pie tin, you need one of those collapable water dishes they sell for dogs.

Kathy said...

In truth, I could use smaller water bottles and probably will. We have plenty of them.

They make collapsible dog dishes? Who knew! I'll ask for one . . .

Chris said...

Fanny pack, back pack, whatever. Not in my vocabulary. :-) You are a great sport to do this.

Deb's idea to get a collapsible dog dish sounds perfect. Go for it.

debdog42 said...

They also sell backpacks for dogs. Nellie can carry her own water and bowl, LOL!

Hallie said...

Oh, Nellie has a backpack. She's a regular mountain goat even with her doggie pack. :) I'm sure she'll be all ready for this year's backpacking trip with her pack AND a bowl!

Kathy said...

Yes, Nellie will be ready for the great backpacking trek of 2010.

And Chris, you know as well as anyone that this outdoor activity stuff is just not "me." But I think it's important to share some interests, so I trudge along. I draw the line at motorcycles, backpacking, hunting and camping. And I'm sure you're a sport, too. I've heard you talk about forays into the woods to look at trees . . .