Wednesday, February 8, 2012

WHOSE COOL HIGH HEELS ARE THOSE?

On the previous post, Chris asked whose cool high-heels were dangling on the right side of the picture. Well, we just happen to have a picture looking back the other way, and we have the answer -- Nina's. (Nina was Polly's mom.) I'm not sure, though, whether the kids are looking at Nina or looking a little to the left of her. It would have been just like Chuck or Bill to have clowned around for the benefit of the little ones. But Chris is right, whatever is going on has their attention -- all of them -- and they are amused.

In the picture above, we can see the back of Keri's head. Evidently she returned to finish her dinner. (Though I can tell you -- the kids barely ate. We threw away so much food!) That's Nina in the white skirt; Evva (Chuck's wife) beside her; and then Hannah Hutenan, Aunt Sara Portfors' stepmother. (I think that's right -- stepmother.) Behind the lamp is Aunt Sara. Pat Nunan is partaking of the buffet table in the back. Bill and Harriet are on the right side of the picture, I think.

Yes, it's great to have some new/old images. KW

11 comments:

Leah said...

What is wonderful about the picture with the little ones is that they have such animated faces. The best photos are those of people doing something (rather than posing). Such adorable children.

Kathy, while you look at the subject in a photo, the rest of us are looking all around the room to see the "scenery." Good eye, Chris.

Chris said...

Aha! The mystery is solved. I love the new picture, too. How young everyone looks! And I forgot to say how much I love the picture of your aunt's birthday--especially your mom. 1961--we were off to the junior high, and not too happy about it! Ack! That was fifty years ago!

So glad you had the other picture.

Hallie said...

Leah is so right! As she was posting that comment, I was studying the magazines in the back. The Post is Norman Rockwell's "The Fat Lady Sings, and the Look magazine was, "If Hitler Had Won World War II".

Now we just need L.J. to tell us what they were looking at. It would be AMAZING if he remembered!

Kathy said...

Your comments are all such fun!!! Well, I've done a little examination on the background, too. About 1960 the folks began remodeling the house in earnest, and in these pictures it's in a state of flux. But -- more on that later.

Yes, it would be great if L.J. remembered.

Chris said...

Hmm, could that be Porkie behind the tree? I could be wrong, but he looks familiar to me and I don't remember what Bill looked like back them. I do think it looks like Harriet.

Hallie said...

I actually thought it was Uncle Chuck, but the identification game is a lot harder for me.

Kathy said...

On closer examination, I think it's Uncle Porkie - F. A. (Frances) Portfors, Mother's brother.

Chris said...

Was Harriet pregnant with Rachel that Christmas? I just looked at the picture and it looks like the woman was wearing a maternity suit.

Kathy said...

Maternity outfit? Really? You can tell? Yes, she was pregnant that Christmas. In 1961 each of the four families welcomed a new member:
Shann Profitt, 7-4-61
Konnie Walrath, 8-22-61
Mary Nunan, 10-28-61
Rachel Reece, 4-13-62
Great fun! (Easy for me to say, I know, but I think I was a pretty good helper.)

Chris said...

Yup, just follow the outline of her clothes down and you can tell. It looks like the top matches the skirt, so that's why I called it a suit--guess outfit would have been a better word. Anyway, guess that proves it's Harriet.

What world class detectives we've been!

Kathy said...

You can't tell much about Evva's outfit, but as I recall, it was a lovely off-white sweater dress. I wanted one but Mother said such was not for me -- the style was too mature. It really takes the right figure to carry off the sweater dress.