Monday, December 8, 2014

GETTIN' READY #8 -- ITALY


Hallie and Nick in Naples

Back in my day, the loveliest advent calendars were printed in West Germany. They were priced at $1.00 and they came with an envelope so that they could be mailed. I still have some envelopes, too.

Italian confections
Most of my advent calendars were purchased at Kling’s Book Store in down town Lewiston. Kling’s, an old and respected book, office supply, and gift shop finally lost out in the market and closed for good a few years ago. However, while shopping Hallmark last week, I noticed they still make advent calendars, but I didn’t find them appealing.

Hallie and Nick recently returned from a two-week tour of Italy, and for today’s entry, I thought I’d share a few of Hallie’s photos and comments.

This is Hallie’s comment from our previous post:
“I love the advent calendars! There was a street in Naples where EVERY shop on both sides on a tiny cobble-stoned street was a Christmas shop. They are known for their nativity sets there. I think you would have enjoyed it. I mention it because I think I saw an advent calendar. It was one with chocolate, though.”

(Hallie is right. I would have enjoyed the little street of Christmas shops. They could have just left me there for a couple of hours.)
 

See Hallie?
And then Hallie added, “Not the best quality photos, but here you'll see little miniatures that move with their task, a photo of the Christmas craziness, and a shot of a regular street in Naples adorned with lighted decorations overhead.”



Well, back in the day, I had an advent calendar filled with chocolate. It also came from West Germany, and you guessed it – my mother even saved that folder. We only used the chocolate type once. The chocolate wasn’t all that good, and we just didn’t find it as inspirational as sharing the picture / story type.
I'm reminded that the first miniature lights were imported from Italy. My dad found them at the Crescent Department Store in Spokane and was very glad to incorporate them into his Christmas decorating, abandoning so fast as possible the big “electricity guzzling” lights. For several years we bought “Italian lights” in Spokane until finally they became available in the marts – and more affordable. KW

Tuesday, Dec. 8, 1896 -- on this date at Gilbert:
Not frozen this morning. Warm all day and no storm. Made a manger in stable.
~M. L. Dickson 


No comments: