Saturday, September 2, 2017

SUMMER STORM



Taken from the south field

Mike had been anticipating the opening of dove season (September 1), especially since he discovered doves on our property. Dove season will seem promising late in August, but then we get a storm or a cool spell, and the doves leave.

Behind the house
The storm we had here Wednesday evening (Aug. 30) was nothing in comparison to those hurricanes in the south. Perhaps I shouldn’t even mention it, but it kept us busy for half an hour nevertheless. About 5:00, Bess, a creature of habit, insisted we should take our afternoon walk. The day had been smoky, hot, and sultry, and it crossed my mind as we left the yard that perhaps a storm was brewing. As we trudged up Plank’s Pitch, we began to hear distant thunder. Even Nellie can hear a low rumble. Our little party of four moved along together. It was warm enough that we decided to let the dogs refresh themselves in Pete’s Pond. The rumbles were growing closer. In my mind’s eye, I could see brother Chuck sitting on the porch to await the pending storm.

Sun and shadows after the storm
We didn’t dally at the pond. “Shall we go back across the field or on the road,” I asked Mike, and he opined that it would be best to stay to the low ground (the road). I agreed. I thought the storm was coming closer. I guess Nellie thought so, too, because she marched along right at my side, and we picked up the pace. Bess danced on ahead – but not too far ahead.

We could see Little Canyon after the storm
It was still hot and sultry when we reached the farmhouse, but the breeze felt fresh and lovely. Mike suggested that we open the windows. (Why do I let him talk me into these things?) Then he went to take a shower. Just like that the storm hit, and suddenly every part of the house called for my attention. Bess whined to be let in, while the wind shrieked around the corners of the house. I grabbed a towel and started closing windows and mopping up water as fast as I could. The old aluminum screen door on the sunporch was thrown back against the house, bending the rod. I managed to pull it closed though the screen was inadequate to keep the rain out anyway. Water stood on the floor. Once I accomplished damage control, I warmed leftovers in the microwave for supper just in case our electricity should go off. (It didn’t happen.)

We even had a faint rainbow
Through it all, Mike showered on, but to be fair, there was plenty left for him to do. By 6:10, the storm was over. He mopped the sunporch floor, then moved outside to set the garbage can to rights and pick up trash. Our old charcoal grill was blown off its perch on the cistern, breaking the handle, but Mike was able to mend it. The work continued Thursday morning. Mike fixed the bent rod on the screen door and carried tree limbs to the burn pile, while I picked up windfalls under the pear tree.

After the storm, the evening was lovely and I took some pictures. For as much rain as I mopped up in the house, it didn't amount to much. The gardens were bone dry the next day.

Little Canyon is obscured again
The storm cleared the smoke to some extent, but this morning I watched as it crept back in, once again obscuring our view of Little Canyon and the buttes. And the doves? Well, I don’t think there are as many as Mike hoped, but there are some. KW






No comments: