Tuesday, May 29, 2018

SPOKANE MUSIC FESTIVAL, PART 2


 (As explained in the previous post, the Greater Spokane Allied Arts and Music Festival was held the second week in May when the lilacs were in full bloom. The photos here were taken last week at our farm when the lilacs were at their peak.)
 
I’ll bet I participated in the Spokane Music Festival at least six times. Lest you think I was the only child struggling with adjudicated performance, let me tell you this anecdote.

It was my second year at the festival. We arrived early at the hall and were allowed to enter the room between performances of the class ahead of mine. A darling little girl in a pretty light blue dress finished playing and remained on the bench. “Thank you, that’s fine,” said the adjudicator, an old man. The little girl didn’t budge. After an awkward moment, the adjudicator said again, “That’s fine. You can get down now.” And with that, the little girl burst into tears. She had wet her pants.

And that, of course, was a problem in more ways than one. Someone took the little girl in hand, while one of the volunteers (probably ladies from some organization like the “Spokane Service League,” if there was such a thing, all dressed in lovely suits complete with heels, 1950’s style) tiptoed back and forth to the bench with a pan of water, trying to clean the bench and floor with as much dignity as she could muster in a tight skirt. The plastic protector on the borrowed piano bench was torn, so it was changed out for another. Good idea! That bench would need nothing short of reupholstering. And of course, there was a mass exit of little girls from the performance hall to the restroom in the basement, me among them. It just goes to show how much pressure was brought to bear on us. We were nervous.

In college, I took flute lessons, and my instructor assigned a certain piece that I should prepare for jury at the end of the semester. “Oh, so I’ll memorize this,” I said. To which he responded with some vehemence: “No! Only piano students are asked to memorize, which is totally stupid in my opinion.” He went on to say that in life, you will never be asked to play from memory, but you will be asked to sight read, accompany groups, play for church, etc. He also pointed out, which I believe, that memorizing actually detracts from performance.

You probably sense that my feelings regarding juried performance for young children runs deep. I think it has value for the prodigy and for the more mature and serious student looking for a career in music, but not for young children. I did an online search to see if others feel as I do, but the most I found was advice for music adjudicators. Comments were made while the goal is encourage the student, it can work to discourage. The point was also made that not all students see the festival as fun. (That’s an understatement.)


After refusing to participate, I gave no more thought to the Greater Spokane Music and Allied Arts Festival, and I heard no more about it. For me, it had ceased to exist. However, I found their website and discovered that it does indeed continue to this day. In 2001, the name was change to Musicfest Northwest, and it’s one of the largest festivals of its kind in the United States. KW

3 comments:

Chuck said...

What an interesting snippet from the life of a young girl. I presume you weren't among the one who relieved herself at the piano. Did you follow her in performing? How did you feel about the pressure. I'm sure your dad was in the audience.

Kathy said...

The little girl was in the class ahead of mine, and as I recall she wasn't the last to play. No one did anything to relieve the tension in the room. The adjudicator kept his eyes on his papers, making him seem remote to those who would play before him, while the volunteer assistant undertook to clean the area. Anyway, the damage was done to that class and the next. If you weren't there, someone told you about it.

You know, when a student plays at a recital, he's among friends, but when he plays for the purpose of critique, it's another thing. And if the student doesn't know her piece well and struggles to perform before a group, then she doesn't need an adjudicator to give her the answers about her performance. You have to know your music well before you begin to interpret and individualize.

Chris said...

Well, I panicked before (and during) recitals. A prodigy I wasn't. And I had no idea you underwent such stressful experiences. And it's all the harder when the people we really want to please are our parents.