Thursday, July 26, 2018

Motocaching the Counties Finale (Really)

Yankee Fork
Yankee Fork
I was at the motel breakfast at 6:00 am and soon afterward on the road heading northwest toward Arco.  I made a brief stop at Mackay for a cache and then continued up US 93.  It was a beautiful day and I didn't stop again until the intersection of Hwy 75 just south of Challis.  There is a cache here at the Yankee Fork Interpretive Center that features old mechanized mining equipment.

Yankee Fork
Sawtooth Mountains
Highway 75 is a beautiful ride and I encountered about as many motorcyclists this day as all the other days combined.  At Stanley I took Hwy 21 which loops north before turning back south.  The beautiful ride continues and I stopped for a cache with a very scenic view (see picture) along the Wild and Scenic designated South Fork of the Payette River.  At Lowman I turned west on the Lowman-Banks highway which continues to follow the South Fork and stopped for a cache but didn't find it.  At Banks I turned north on Hwy 55 which was familiar territory.  I made a fuel and lunch stop in Cascade and had an enjoyable conversation with a couple from Indiana who had trailered their Harley out west to tour.  I took a little side road at Donnelly for a cache at an interesting museum like place where there was a history sign and several old restored buildings.  I stopped again for gas and some pop in Grangeville and encountered the same couple I had seen in Cascade.  They were heading for Canada but they weren't likely to make it this day.  This was probably the second best riding day of my trip.  Idaho has some great motorcycling roads.
Cache near Donnelly

I arrived home a little after 5:00 pm although I had gained an hour due to the time zone change.  This was the longest day of the trip having traveled 518 miles and stopping for 5 caches and finding 4.  Considering the distance I wasn't all that tired.  I'm sure beautiful weather and fun roads make a big difference.  Total mileage for the trip was 3,975 miles with 60 geocache finds and 11 DNF's. 

My counties of the west quest is now officially complete.  I have logged at least one geocache in each county of the 11 western states (in the lower 48) plus the 11 westernmost counties in Texas which comprises an area of contiguous counties of 1,217,623 miles all by motorcycle.  I belong to a Facebook group called "County Cachers" and I know there are some who have logged a lot more counties and covered

My county map




a bigger area but as far as I know I am the only one to amass anywhere near that area on a motorcycle.  I will continue to motocache but the route will dictate my journeys rather than having to go to a particular county.  I look forward to a lot more motorcycling with sons Yancey and Clint as well as friends like Sam Charles.  And I'm sure there will be some solo trips as well.  A big thanks to Yancey and Sam for their most valuable help in my adventures.
That's all folks.  M/W   

2 comments:

Chris said...

I've enjoyed reading all of your posts, Mike. Sounds like you had a great time and a great end to your western states adventures!

Kathy said...

I can attest that Mike has logged many winter hours at a computer screen planning routes and accommodations. Here in the West where altitude affects the weather, care must be taken to plan the trip at the right time and (hopefully) avoid snow and bad weather. It's not like you can change your mind and go next week instead of this week. I see it as an intense endeavor all the way around, and I welcome a more relaxed approach to motocaching, even though I stay at home.