Thursday, January 13, 2022

RIBBON FABRIC

I subscribe to an online sewing group, “Sewing with Cinnamon,” an extension of the doll clothes pattern website, “Pixie Faire.” “Sewing with Cinnamon” offers tutorials on various aspects of sewing doll clothes, and this month’s topic is sewing with ribbon.

Well, as it happens, I know a little something about sewing with ribbon. When I was a little girl with a family of diminutive dolls, my mother made dresses for them, the skirts of which were strips of ribbon. I think the ribbon she used had come from my Grandma Portfors’ stash. The fact that she did this wonderful thing for me has forever influenced the way I think about ribbon. I was immediately intrigued. How did she even think of it, I wondered?

Perhaps you can see that Mother sewed the strips together with a very fine zigzag stitch. She didn’t overlap the strips at all – just held them side-by-side and zigzagged away. And she even made an underskirt in the one dress by sewing strips of eyelet lace together. In that case, she lapped the finished edge over the unfinished and straight-stitched.  

Mother didn’t make near as many doll clothes for me as I would have liked. Instead, she taught me how to sew, and I made doll clothes for my dolls as well as my nieces’. I always found it rewarding, so I took up doll clothes sewing as a retirement hobby. KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Fun post! I remember my mom making only a hat, a coat, and skirt for one of my dolls. I guess doll clothes weren't in her repertoire. That's why I made them. Lovely dresses in your photos and so creative!! I know you have fun making (and that's where the fun is) your doll clothes now.

Hallie said...

The ribbon clothes are very clever and effective! It must be a little tricky to make the taper of the skirt.

Kathy said...

Hi Chris! Yes, I do have fun making doll clothes, but as you know, it can be tedious to sew these miniature outfits. I think my mother enjoyed it, too, but considered she had too much to do to take it on. She preferred sewing for herself and me.

And Hallie -- the pictured skirts are just straight pieces and then gathered onto the bodice, and gathering the ribbon might be tricky, but it seemed to work out all right. I'll let you know how it goes for me.