Friday, February 18, 2022

HOME AGAIN, HOME AGAIN, JIGGETTY-JIG


Mike and Kathy with Silas Fox

It had been a very good visit, Mike and I agreed as we left Seattle for home, our route taking us from the state’s westernmost area, urban and trafficked, back to the rural southeasternmost side. The route narrows from freeways and divided highways to backroads and lesser-traveled roadways. What a contrast!

Mike and Silas

We had just spent four days helping to care for 4-month-old grandson Silas while his parents (daughter Hallie and Nick) were working. Hallie returned to work Jan. 31, and Nick is winding down his employment responsibilities so that he can be Silas’ daytime caregiver, but while they were both working, Hallie asked for back-up. Besides, it was time for Mike to meet Silas and for me to see him again.

You never know with babies. I was prepared that Silas might take one look at us and burst into tears, but he gave us big grins the moment he saw us and never resisted. I fed, changed, and played with him, but his mom works remotely, so she was on hand with instructions and support.

Kathy and Silas sitting on the puff quilt

Last week I finished the small puff quilt that I made for Silas using reproduction “playtime” prints. I began with a pattern, but I soon discovered that online tutorials for puff quilts abound, and I sorta wished that I had studied those before I got started. I tied each square to cotton backing, but when I was finished, I  thought the backing was too puckered. Back to the tutorials I went for another, hopefully better, idea, finding a quilting guru who suggested a soft cuddly fabric (Minky) sewn directly to the quilt top, which also eliminates troublesome binding. Off to JoAnn’s I went where I found a bright yellow Minky. Of course, I had work to do in carefully untying my first effort and then retying to the Minky backing, but I was pleased with the end result. And – I had the privilege of delivering it in person, along with the two cloth books. (Another “finish” off my list.)

I came home with fun memories of playing with a bright and (usually) happy baby, but once again, leave-taking was hard. I felt like a little bit of my heart was staying behind. But we were all in agreement that it was time to get back to our normal routines. KW

5 comments:

Chuck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chuck said...

Your photos show you two as much younger. Traveling must be good for you. Did you arrive home with a spring in your step? I trust you had a good time with Silas. I thought you were going to stay a week. Anyway, welcome home.

Kathy said...

Oh yes! We are much younger in pictures!

The plan was to return on Thursday, which we did. I wish they were closer so that I could visit and help out more often.

It was good to get away for a few days, and while it wasn't a real vacation, we enjoyed it very much.

Chris said...

Look at those chubby cheeks! That boy is growing! So fun to see the pictures with you and Mike with him. And so glad you got to go!

Hallie said...

It was wonderful having you here. I wish I didn't have to work during that time. May the stars align so that we can live closer soon!