Sunday, September 11, 2022

THE GREAT SEGUE INTO FALL

Mike and I couldn’t wait to return to the farm on Tuesday, Sept. 6, to escape the heat in the Valley, where temps were again in the triple digits.

“I wonder if I should wash my swimsuit and put it away,” I said.

“No!” said Mike. “We’ll have more hot days. We’ll go to the beach again.” Hmmm. I wasn’t so sure. As unreal as it seemed at that moment, autumn is on the way. I remember how it goes. Suddenly it’s not so hot.

And that’s what happened. Earlier this week at the farm, it was still 80 outside as we retired for the night and in the 60s (or even 70) when we arose, a continuation of “hot August nights.” However, I was mindful of what my mother said every year. By the 9th of September, it was necessary to turn on the furnace in the morning to take the chill off the house, and if she didn’t, one  of us would take cold. That seasonal change just comes upon us, and often it’s first noticeable on or about the 9th of September.

And lo and behold, the morning of the 9th, the low was 46 while the high was 75 or so. The segue to autumn is upon us.

So, I changed the bed, pulled up the blankets, and pulled out my winter pajamas. And I haven’t been sorry.

And it’s fine. I’m a little tired of the summer drill. Of course, it’s not over yet. Questions loom. Will the blooms on the zucchini plant turn into edible squash? Will the tomatoes ripen? How much longer will the strawberries produce? Stay tuned for answers to these intriguing questions. 

I removed the hummingbird feeders on Sept. 6, and – wouldn’t you know it? – as I was lifting it down, one little fellow came up for a drink. “It’s time for you to move along,” I said firmly, and I guess he did because I haven’t seen him or his relatives.

And now that it’s cooler, we can actually bake in the oven. Mike made a batch of oat bran muffins. I baked cookies and a rhubarb crostata.

This post would not be complete without mention of the smoke from regional wildfires. Visibility is worse now than yesterday when I took these pictures. It’s not better in the Valley, and daughter Hallie says it’s smoky in Seattle, and they even see falling ash. KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

We are also noticing the cooler temps at night and in the early morning, but are still having days in the high 70s. I've taken Friday off so that I can paint our weathered back door. I need to do it now because when the weather changes, it seems to happen suddenly and without return to the beautiful days.

Chuck said...


good for you, Hallie. Keep it up.