Wednesday, February 15, 2023

ON TO THE NEXT "HOLIDAY"

Valentines’ Day is over now. Mike and I exchanged cards as we ate chili leftover from our Super Bowl celebration for supper. I baked a white cake in heart-shaped pans and frosted it with Hershey’s best chocolate frosting. It was a low-key event, but we both prefer that.

Now it’s on to the next “holiday.” Next Monday is Presidents' Day, an official three-day weekend in the U.S. -- and that's the last one until Memorial Day. As far as decorating goes, we have St. Patrick’s Day, and then Easter. Luckily, my dolls don't expect me to get caught up in those. I’m thinking ahead to Halloween and Christmas so that I’ll be ready in time. Apparently I’m not alone.

But I did take a break from the gray afghan yesterday to crochet a soap saver. As with all projects, it takes more than the allotted time. I finished mine and started Mike’s. (We don’t use the same soap, hence the “his and hers” soap savers.)

Here are a couple of other finishes. Shirley Anne, American Farm Girl, models a crocheted Christmas sweater. The pattern is by Little Abbee and can be purchased on Pixie Faire. Note the bell-shaped Christmas buttons which adorn the back closure. While the sweater is basically a good fit, it’s just a bit snug in the middle on Shirley Anne. It might be better worn by one of her slenderer sisters. 

The nightgown is fashioned after a peasant blouse by “Oh Sew Kat,” using fabric from a bag that bed sheets came in. (Why do they do that anyway?) The doll is my Magical Maggie (or whatever I'm calling her now), a Tonner "My Imagination" doll. 

Hallie called on the Alexa Show the other day to talk while mixing bread dough. Silas wanted to be included, so she put him on a stool. Peeking over the counter, he was happy to see his grandparents on the screen and gave us big grins. We reviewed animal sounds, and he loved that. All too soon the dough was ready, the call was over, and Silas was most unhappy. He doesn’t transition well, says Hallie. I can relate. KW

6 comments:

Chuck said...

ESpeaking of holidays, I bought Joanne a box of Russell Stover chocolates. The price was reasonable, so I was happy. When she opened it, I was shocked. There were only about 8 chocolates in the whole box. The box had inserts for only the chocolates. What a ripoff. I will never again get chocolates without seeing what the contents are,

Kathy said...

One of he ways that food manufacturers protect their bottom line is to downsize the product. It was a lovely gesture on your part anyway, and I know Joanne appreciated it.

I still haven't gotten over the fact that several years ago cake mixes went from 18 oz. to 15 oz. I miss those three ounces. Do they think we won't notice or care?

And over time, the downsizing of package contents have changed quite a lot. I think of condensed milk, for instance. This can affect our results if we want to use a recipe that dates back to earlier times.

Hallie said...

That's a fun sheet pattern -- good for the nightgown.

You mean...all too soon the dough was WRONG. haha I thought I could multi-task and added too much water. I ended up adding more flour and split the loaf into two. I baked one in the dutch oven and the other just on a cookie sheet next to it. I don't think there was much difference in the two techniques. Since the quantities were off, my loaves were kind of flat, but everyone still ate and enjoyed them.

Silas' raw emotions have heightened MY emotions in a way. When he is upset that we're apart, the aching in my heart is deep and I think, "I'm upset, too." Would I feel better if I flopped over on the floor and screamed?

Hallie said...

Oh! More to say...

I went to the office on Tuesday and when I got home Silas and Nick had purchased flowers and a card for me. Nick bought a bouquet of red roses along with a small bouquet of little pink flowers (like a small wild rose), then he cut the stems to different lengths and arranged them together. I was so impressed!

We had a rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli and bread for dinner. It was a lovely evening.

Chocolates: I scored a small box of chocolates from work that I gave to Nick. The cardboard top didn't even cover the sides! It was just the flimsy plastic insert on the sides of the heart box--I guess they are cutting cost on the cardboard. And there were only THREE chocolates inside. One was coconut (ick), so basically just two. I'm pretty sure those used to have at least four, if not five chocolates.

It's a different world these days, folks.

Chris said...

We never do anything for Valentine's Day and it doesn't bother me a whit. I'm just thankful for all these years we've had together and don't take each new day for granted. And in other news, I think the sweater and nightgown are so cute!

And Hallie, I think throwing yourself on the floor and screaming would be fine (well, maybe not in front of Silas haha). I think I've done pretty much the same thing at times and I find it very therapeutic!!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris. When I decided to make doll clothes, my plan was to use what I had and what I came by, and I'm endeavoring to do that. The hemline ruffle covers the fact that the gown is a bit short.

And Hallie, I missed your second comment. It sounds like you had a nice Valentine's Day. And I enjoyed your story about the chocolates. It's a different world, for sure.