Tuesday, July 11, 2023

CHERRY PICKING BEGINS

Jack & June Dobson with sisters Edith & Cora, 1935

In 1935, Grandpa Jack and Uncle June’s sister Edith visited at the homesteads. She complained to a relative that the families here were “so shut in.” The relative responded, “Why, Edith, you can see for 150 miles from June’s dooryard.” Whether or not this is exactly the case, I often 
think of this during my morning walk as I look out across the fields to the distant mountains. It
is isolated, though, and in that sense, I understand what Edith meant.

Winter wheat ripening rapidly

Mike was off on a long bike ride Saturday morning, so I agreed to walk Bess, or rather, I agreed that Bess could accompany me on my morning walk. We set out just fine, but as I reached the bottom of Plank’s Pitch, I looked behind me and just caught sight of Bess heading back home at a trot. I went on without her.

Note Bess digging in foreground

Mike and I made a quick trip to town on Sunday, July 9. I shopped, shopped again, got my hair cut, and packed the food and supplies. Mike had an appointment and his own “to do” and “to get” lists. We were back at the farm by noon on Monday, having been gone not much more than 24 hours. It felt like a week.

Winter wheat 

“No rest for the weary,” though. The cherry tree called us, and we picked two gallons. We decided they could stand a little more ripening, but it troubles me that the birds are eating them now. I have other priorities since Silas and family are coming on Wednesday. If there are any cherries left, Hallie will help me.

Anyway, I sorted the cherries and put two quarts of the ripest in the fridge for munching. The rest I pitted for the freezer. I’ll use them in baked goods, so it won’t matter if they’re a little underripe and tart. I do know one thing – there are more cherries on the tree than we can eat in a week.

We exercise in the mornings now, and before supper, we walk around the pond. On yesterday’s pond walk, Bess alerted us to a rattler in tall grass near the pond. We couldn’t see it. (“Stay out of tall grass,” said my daddy.) Then after supper, Bess alerted again as she patrolled the yard. The rattler was near the cherry tree. KW

[My photos were taken during my morning walk on Saturday, July 8.]

Spring wheat in foreground

2 comments:

Chris said...

No cherries for us this year, the spring was too cold. Glad you are able to get some. And it seems to be a year for rattlesnakes--I've seen lots of posts about them on FB. Glad you have Bess to alert you!

Kathy said...

We didn't have cherries last year -- not even one -- but this year the tree is simply loaded. Mike checked the tree again today and sent Bess ahead of him to check for snakes. I think she was pleased to be asked. She trotted along with an air of importance.