Monday, January 22, 2024

TO FINISH – OR NOT TO FINISH

From my dad's collection of postcards -- 1910s

Must I finish everything I start? My mother would say yes even though she stored unfinished projects. (In fact, Mother stored her mother’s unfinished projects.) “When I’m gone, don’t think you have to finish my projects,” she told me as she grew older.

“Finish what you start.” We hear it from the time we’re old enough to – well, to start something. And yes, I agree that we shouldn’t just start and start and never finish. But now that I’m financially responsible for my own projects, I wonder if finishing is such a big deal. If we craft for something interesting to do, is it so bad not to finish if we lose interest?

Mike used to insist that if he started a book, he had to finish it whether or not he liked it. I finally convinced him that life’s too short to spend on a pastime you aren’t enjoying. If you don’t like the book, move to the next one. Similarly, sometimes a project just isn’t what I thought it would be. Maybe it’s too challenging, isn’t coming together like it should, or maybe you just don’t like it – period! Why spend the time to finish it?

“What do you do when you start something that you just don’t like,” a fellow crafter once asked.

“I put it in a storage box on a shelf,” I replied.

“Is that what we should do,” she questioned skeptically, as if she thought this wasn’t the best solution.

Started in 2010 -- finished in 2023

I think about that conversation from time to time. Perhaps the better solution is to let go of the unfinished. Pass it on or use it another way, but don’t store it forever as a constant reminder of failure. On the other hand, sometimes I pull out an old project and finish it. I call to mind three such projects right now.

I inherited a quilt top that a dear friend of my grandmother’s gave to Mother in the ‘60s. I decided I wasn’t interested in finishing it and donated it to the P.E.O. rummage sale. I was pleased when a couple of women looked it over and bought it. The history of that quilt top was important to me, but that doesn’t matter now. I hope it has new life in its present home.

A while back, Chris pointed out that the question isn’t if we can do it but if we really want to. The realization of this has been helpful. Do I truly want to do it? Do I have a plan or a place for the finished product? If it’s difficult, am I willing to face up to the challenge? KW

5 comments:

Chris said...

Well you already know how I feel about the subject. :-) It still takes some will power at times though to toss something. My final question that seals the deal is: what will I do with this if I do try to salvage it and finish? If the answer is to stick it in a drawer, out it goes.

Kathy said...

I admire your ability to part with things, Chris. I stick a lot of things in drawers and cupboards that I should part with.

Mike keeps asking me if I want to go to JoAnn's. Yes, I would love to go, but I just feel like I can't add to my stash of books, fabric, and yarn at this time. Trying to focus on what's at hand. Not having much fun, though.

Chris said...

I just ordered the valentine wall hanging kit from Shabby Fabrics. The one with four hearts that each have a crazy quilt look. It'll probably take me a year to get it made, but hopefully next Valentine's Day I'll have it up. I love it! I love watching Tammy's tutorials on YouTube and it will help to refer to it as I work.

Kathy said...

Chris -- I looked at it. It will grace your home beautifully. I can hardly wait until you get started.

I was just thinking yesterday that it's time for me to get started on Halloween just so I'll be finished in time. I have several things going that I really do want to finish.

Chris said...

There you go! A plan and you'll have some fun, too! We'll *both* have some fun!