Saturday, July 25, 2026

A STAYCATION AT THE FARM

Central Ridge

 I said that the centennial appreciation of the Dobson’s 1926 trip to Yellowstone would be next, but first, we have to prepare. We’ll set off on this journey on Monday, July 27, and hopefully I’ll be ready to go. Right now I’m organizing the info.

Southerly view obscured by smoke

Meanwhile, in real time, Mike is off on another motorcycle adventure, and since we’re now in the midst of the hottest temps of the year, he suggested that Bess and I stay at the farm. I’m not sure this was the best idea. We arrived Wednesday mid-morning, and the farmhouse was warm and stuffy, having been shut up for three days. Outside temp was already 80, so too late to open the house. We walked around the pond anyway and I chucked a few balls for Bess to chase, but she was fussy the rest of the day. She tends to fuss now anyway, but I think she was too hot.

Looking to the north -- serviceberry in foreground

It was 91 at 4:30 as we took our afternoon constitutional. Bess insisted on another walk at the pond, but as we passed the east end of the kitchen porch where the faucet is, we found a bull snake doing its best rattlesnake impression. I wasn’t fooled, but I was intimidated anyway, and Bess was spoiling for a fight. I managed to drag her off to the pond, but when we arrived back at the house, the bull snake was still languishing in the shade. We repaired to the house and waited an hour before playing ball.

The house was still hot at bedtime, and Bess had trouble settling down. At her insistence, we were up early Thursday morning and walked out to the canyon rim where I took these pictures.

Ina and Jack with grandchildren Shirley Jean and Stanley

Our staycation continued in that fashion – warm weather issues and a fussy old dog. So, I disappeared into 1926 and transcribed Ina’s journey of the road trip through Idaho to Yellowstone National Park. At this very house, the family of 1926 was preparing for their trip. My aunts, Ethel and Myrtle, will cover in Ina’s absence. I imagine that I’m here staycating with them. Ethel is 28 and Lynn is 32. They’re good friends as well as sisters, so with the house to themselves, I see them enjoy each other’s company. I can just hear those deep Dobson voices rambling on, sharing opinions – and smoking!!!! They both smoked, and they were probably happy to be able to do so free of Ina’s critical eye.

Ethel holding Shirley Jean


Anyway, Ina trusted them with her farm responsibilities, and having been raised on the farm, they were adept at their chores. They fed the chickens, milked the cows – or maybe Uncle June came over and milked the cows – and took care of the garden, which by now was producing well. Perhaps they even did some canning. And besides that, Ethel has a baby – Shirley Jean – who is just months old. What fun! KW

No comments: