Tuesday, September 29, 2026

FARROL JOAN (JONI) WALRATH NUNAN – 1934-2026

 

Mrs. Bonner's First Grade Class, 1955-56, Orofino Elementary School

My big sister Joni slipped peacefully from this world on Saturday, Sept. 19. Joni was going on 15 when I was born and was a player in my life, especially during my young years. I miss her already.

I have many “Joni” stories, but the one I’ll relate here is a favorite. Joni’s birthday is Nov. 10, so when she started school in Oklahoma, she began at midterm (January), but when the family moved back to Idaho, there was no mid-term program, and she was “put back” to the third grade instead of promoted to the fourth. In her mind, she was made to repeat a grade, and she resented this for the rest of her school days, though she had a wonderful group of friends among her classmates.

Joni graduated from Orofino High School in 1953 and subsequently attended the University of Idaho majoring in elementary and secondary education. Her goal was to finish in three years to make up for the year that was stolen from her in elementary school. Her U-I advisor told her this would only happen if she had no scheduling conflicts, which was doubtful.

In reviewing her coursework in September 1955, Joni’s advisor realized that if she could complete her student teaching that semester, she could graduate in the spring, fulfilling her goal to finish college in three years, but arrangements would have to be made quickly. So, Joni applied to our home school district and gained approval to student teach at Orofino schools, both elementary and secondary. An added advantage was that she could stay at home.

Well, there was a problem of sorts. Of the three first grade teachers, only Mrs. Irene Bonner was qualified to supervise a student teacher. School was already in session, and Mrs. Bonner was my teacher. The administration decided it would not be wise to reassign me. So, when Joni came to teach, it was not ideal. I was required to call her “Miss Walrath” and I didn’t want to.

Well, I was a young first-grader, having turned six just before school started. It wasn’t that I couldn’t do the work, I just didn’t. I didn’t understand that I was supposed to finish my paper and turn it in. Basically, I was totally oblivious to the fact that I might be flunking first grade. It meant nothing to me, and Mother had no knowledge of the situation.

But Joni told on me. “Mother, Kathy doesn’t finish her work,” she said. Mother was appalled and immediately scheduled a conference with Mrs. Bonner. “Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked, to which Mrs. Bonner just shrugged. I suspect that for whatever reason, Mrs. Bonner was not as concerned as Joni and Mother.

Nevertheless, a plan was put into place to make me understand the necessity of finishing my work and handing it in. Mother made a chart and hung it on the wall in the breakfast nook, and when I brought a graded paper home, I got to glue a star on the chart. I guess earning that star was affirmation enough. The system worked. I became a good student, and much of the credit goes to Joni. At least, that’s the story. (I’ve often thought that Mrs. Bonner probably had a plan.) KW

[In the above photo, student teacher Miss Joni Walrath stands beside teacher Mrs. Irene Bonner. My friend Chris Cummings Miller and I identified this photo to the best of our ability a few years ago. 

Back row: Joni Walrath (Nunan), Irene Bonner, Craig Allen, Jerry Wilfong, Kathy Dobson (Warnock), Sherri Daniels (McMillan), Christine Cummings (Miller), Martha Sewell, Steve Titus, Tim Musiel. 

Center row: First three unknown; Kay Schwartzkopf, Judy Partee, Vicky Carrico, Patricia Irby, Mary ?

Front row: Chipper Prudhomme, Kenneth Dykes, Ged Randall, Jim Oud, Unknown, Lanny Tinney, Calvin Joye, Charles Lindstrom, Mike Steinbruecker.]

No comments: