Tuesday, November 24, 2009

CONTINUING TECH ISSUES



My ability to effectively use my new embroidery module has been clouded by computer issues. First I had to convince the shop I had the wrong software, then it was working to solve computer issues. I thought I had it worked out. In fact, the machine worked great at the embroidery club meeting I attended in Moscow last Thursday. But again yesterday I expected a pleasurable embroidery experience but lost the time to internet searches regarding compatibility issues between Windows Vista and EC on PC, that part of the embroidery program that writes the design to my sewing machine. I ran two or three patches – and I always wonder how that will affect other computer applications. But it seems I just have no choice but to follow these leadings in the hope of being able to use my computer for machine embroidery. In the end, the fine print at the bottom of one support site said – "If you are still experiencing issues with getting your designs sent to your Bernina 430 machine, delete 'Microsoft .NET Framework' . . ." I had already deleted one version of that file; now I deleted the 3.5 version. With that the program came up and worked beautifully. Is it fixed or did it just happen?

"Look at it run," observed Mike, "doing 20 hours of handwork in five minutes."

"And doing it beautifully," I rejoined.

Meanwhile, I still don't know if the problem is "fixed" or if it will act up when I least expect it. Perhaps it will happen at the next embroidery club meeting or at some class and I will be really inconvenienced by its lack of cooperation. Mike assures me that it's nothing personal – that computers treat everyone this way.

Hallie has suggested maybe we should install Windows XP on my laptop. I'm about ready to agree. Often I read on these sites, "This issue does not exist with Windows XP." KW

3 comments:

Hallie said...

Stupid Vista is always doing those updates when you're not looking, whether you want it to or not. I CURSE you, Microsoft and your careless and thoughtless production of Windows Vista and Office 2007 Suite!!! *Shaking fists at sky*

My computer doesn't work at all right now. Try that on for Computer Woes. Woe, Woe, Woe.... :(

Kathy said...

I'm sorry about your computer, but I know you're equal to the challenge. You'll be up and running soon.

chrismiller said...

On the advice of Eric, I have turned off *all* updates from Microsoft!! And my computer has been soooo happy ever since! I highly recommend it. Let peace and sanity reign!