Sunday, November 8, 2009

FEASTING AT THANKSGIVING

"We are to have a community dinner at the Gilbert schoolhouse Thanksgiving. I got 2 quarts of Cranberries Saturday. If it is bad weather I'll have Julian's here. We have had 2 weeks or more of fine weather, just a shower now and then and some frost and in October it got to 24 above and froze the pumpkins some." Great-Aunt Bertha Dobson, 11-26-33, Gilbert (near Orofino), Idaho

"Say! Why didn't you tell [in your last letter] what you had for Thanksgiving dinner? I am always interested in hearing it. . . . . We all went to the old Gilbert schoolhouse. You should have seen all the cakes, chicken, pies, and lovely salads. 44 [people] there. In the P.M. we went to the other schoolhouse and had songs and Mrs. Weeks gave that reading "Sally Ann" where she turned all the deacons and even the preacher a going over; it was fine and we all had such a good time. Ida and Ella went to Ella's at Ahsahka; 21 in all there for dinner. August Grimms had 21, too, and had a 22-pound turkey for them." Bertha, 12-17-33

"You folks sure had a feast on Thanksgiving but your Xmas dinners were good enough for any one and healthier, too, I suppose. I know that squash must have made a nice vase. I've read about such things." Bertha, 2-13-34

"What a time you all had Thanksgiving and what a big dinner. Mine didn't come up to it only we had pork cake and squash pie, too." Bertha, 12-18-35

Bertha also tells the relatives in Drain, Oregon, that she had never had turkey for Thanksgiving. They had pork roast instead. Of course, they didn't raise turkeys and living on the farm they wouldn't have bought meat. In the letters I have, Grandma Ina does not mention Thanksgiving, but she does describe several New Year's dinners at Bertha's (another post).

Over on the Modern Retro Housewife blog, we've been wondering if Thanksgiving was a less lavish meal, perhaps a healthier meal, in years gone by. Thanksgiving menus in recipe books seem to suggest this, but frankly, I can't remember that Thanksgiving dinner was ever anything but a lavish feast in my family. Our extended family gathered for turkey, dressing (stuffing), giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes in some form, a few side dishes, dinner rolls, and then at least three varieties of pie. Of course, the meal was a shared responsibility with each family bringing side dishes or desserts as agreed in advance. In addition, Mother would set out a plate of whatever holiday goodies she had ready, such as fruitcake and divinity. It was rich food – and my parents weren't ignorant on the subject of diet and nutrition. The menu was planned along traditional lines with no particular thought as to whether the meal was healthy. It was meant to be a feast and we looked forward to it as such.

Mike, born in 1941, says he also remembers Thanksgiving as a feast at his family home in Arkansas and then Mississippi. He says the menu was the same as my family's with the exception of potatoes. You don't need potatoes, he says, when you have stuffing. Well, this year he gets his way, because my sister says she doesn't want to deal with mashed potatoes and gravy.

In 1972 and 1973, I was living in Boston, and I had Thanksgiving dinner at the beautiful apartment of a friend in Cambridge. We were a diverse group, coming from Idaho, Colorado, California, and Missouri. We all had the same expectation of the feast. The meal was much the same as I'd had at home. I remember thinking, "There is no relief on this plate!" Everything was so very rich. I began to think about the self-imposed agony of over-indulgence and to realize that I simply didn't have to over eat. The food is not going away in a flash. There will be leftovers to enjoy.

So – how do you remember Thanksgiving? Do you think the feast was simpler in "simpler" times? Are you interested in simplifying your celebration of this holiday?

[The photos are of Thanksgiving celebrations at my Mother's taken in the early '70s. I probably wasn't there. You can see that we are dressed casually -- a concession to making a more relaxed day.] KW

[Daughter Hallie comments that she can't confidently identify any of the people. These photos are probably 10 years before her time. I decided to identify them here on the original post so that those for whom identification is meaningful can do so more easily.

Photo 1: lst table -- Mike N. (back to camera), David (redhead to Mike's right), Shann Profitt (to Mike's left), Mark Nunan in 4th position. Big table: Grandma Dobson (my mother) in white with back to camera; Mary to Grandma's left; Rachel; Becky; Harriet; L.J.; Pat in red sweater; probably Cheryl tucked between Pat and her dad, Chuck; Bill to Grandma's right.

Photo 2: Joni in gold; moving clockwise -- Grandma; Becky; Monica; I'm guessing the next is Rachel and the next we can't see; then Harriet just over Joni's chair; Pat; Mike; L.J.; Mary; and Mark. Hard to believe 35 years have passed. Seems like yesterday.]

5 comments:

Hallie said...

Is Grandpa the camera man? I seriously could not confidently identify all of those people. I can't believe you're not having mashed potatoes!!! Doesn't Aunt Joni know about those delicious packets of instant potatoes?

Kathy said...

Yes, Grandpa is the camera man. I enlarged the pictures and provided identification on the original post.

Mashed potatoes and gravy require last-minute attention, and Aunt Joni wishes to be relieved of that mess in her kitchen. However, I heard today that Loris and Shann are going to join us and Loris is bringing dressing. So, Harriet has been assigned gravy. I don't know why gravy is making another appearance on the menu -- unless Joni figures that Harriet needs something to do. Stay tuned . . .

Kathy said...

Yes, that's right. I just received official word -- potatoes and gravy are back on the menu. Mary said it's not Thanksgiving without potatoes and gray. She's bringing the potatoes and Harriet's making the gravy.

chrismiller said...

Well, in Miller, Cummings, and Hewitt kingdom, we go for tradition but in a smaller way. Turkey, stuffing, yes--potatoes and gravy, and we usually round it out with fruit salad, rolls, etc. Last year I discovered a "healthified" sweet potato casserole we all loved, and will do it again. Pumkin pie is always served, and occasionally mince pie if I have the time as both Mom and Dad love it. When I cook a big meal I'm seldom hungry when it's time to eat--too much on my mind, so I guess I don't usually overeat. And I love the next day even more because there's all that food leftover! By Friday night I'm ready for pizza from Papa Murphy's where I've run into Joni in the past. :-)

However, the hot scoop from our house is that Mom called Monday night to say that she and Dad had decided they'd like to take us all out for dinner at Meriwether's this year. It sounds relaxing and yummy and a fun change.

Kathy said...

I can hardly wait to hear about your TG dinner at Meriwether's. I've never had a holiday meal at a restaurant. And I'm wondering -- will you roast a turkey so that you have some leftovers?

We always have pumpkin pie and sometime during the holiday I'll make mince pie. Mike and I both like it -- the kids were never fans. This year I have green tomato mincemeat. My favorite mince pie recipe has a cream cheese topping.

We're having a calzone from Papa Murphy's for supper tonight.