Wednesday, November 18, 2009

PLANNING THE FEAST

"Oh--here's something for the blog," wrote Hallie. "Will you post the recipe for pumpkin ice cream bars? I think I'm going to make that for our Thanksgiving dessert. I'll get a little turkey and we'll have mashed taters (instant) and gravy. Nick is going to make himself some stuffing but doesn't want to put it INSIDE the turkey. We'll have rolls and peas. A feast!!!"

I was reading just the other day that there's some evidence that we shouldn't stuff the turkey -- something about bacteria. That's probably advice I'll ignore. I've been eating stuffing for years. And, the year I didn't stuff the turkey, we thought it wasn't as tasty as it is when we do. Of course, my brother-in-law Bill, an old farm boy, doesn't eat poultry meat at all. He says anyone who has observed chickens, turkeys, etc., in the barnyard would not eat them. As a family, we pretty much ignore his advice but always have ham or roast beef on hand for him.

Here's the recipe Hallie requested. I've alluded to it before but I didn't post it -- I checked.

Beatrice's Pumpkin Ice Cream
Blend: 1 cup pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp salt.
Heat until sugar dissolves -- then chill.
Mix pumpkin mixture, 1/2 cup chopped pecans, and one quart ice cream (soften it first).
Spread gingersnap crumbs in a flat pan. (I'd say about a cup.) Then spread ice cream mixture over the crumbs. Garnish with a sprinkling of gingersnap crumbs.
Freeze several hours before serving.

This is a recipe that my mother picked up at the ladies' sewing circle to which she belonged. It was shared by circle member Beatrice Smolinski, who happened to live across the street from Mother. KW

7 comments:

Kathy said...

I was saddened to read this morning the obituary of Beatrice's daughter, Glenna Smolinski Johston. She was in my brother Chuck's high school graduating class, I believe (1954). I remember Glenna . . .

chrismiller said...

Yes, I saw that, too. Didn't she have a sister? There was no mention of her, but I rememer the sister as being younger.

chrismiller said...

Ack!! I knew I should have proofread that!!

Kathy said...

Am I missing something, Chris? I don't see anything wrong with it. But in the process of trying to find your typo, I found my own. Her name was Joh-n-ston. Oh! there's yours -- the "b" in remember. We're even! (Goes to show how the brain works.)

Yes, the younger sister was Karen -- four years older than we are. She married Norm Crump and had three children. I don't know where she is now.

It's funny how some silly little memories come back so vividly and just like they happened yesterday. I remember walking home from school on Brown Avenue (I was probably 6 or 7) and passing a very pregnant Glenna out walking with her husband, Phil. (I guess I was impressed because I thought new babies were wonderful!) KW

Hallie said...

Do you make the gingersnap crumbs yourself? Just buy cookies and them crumble them up? I'm just mixing the pumpkin with vanilla ice cream, yes?

Mmmm! It will be so good!

Kathy said...

Yes, just buy a box of gingersnaps and run them through that nice food processor Mary Jane gave you. At any rate, crumble them well.

Cook the pumpkin with the spices and sugar as the recipe states. Cool that mixture and then blend with softened ice cream. (You could probably do that in that nice food processor, too.)

I have every reason to believe it's a no-fail dessert. And it is tasty!

Joanne Walrath said...

I think your large family gatherings are great! I only wish I could have that many family members around to do something like that too. I think the cooperative effort to bring time honored family food favorites is very special. Thanks for the pumpkin ice cream pie recipe. I would like to try it. I have a gingerbread cookie recipe Dorothy Dobson shared with me that is quite good. If you don't have it let me know and I'll share it with you.
Love,
Joanne Walrath (Chuck's wife)