Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A BAG FOR BECKY



I was visiting with my niece Becky at a party for her parents’ 60th wedding anniversary (June 14, 2013).

 “I keep thinking about the vintage lunch bag,” she said, looking right at me. She was referring, of course, to the lunch sack I made for my daughter Hallie. (You can see it here.)
I mentally thought of all the projects on my list and wondered how many years it would be before I could make her one. I also thought of how nice it would be for her to have a lunch sack embellished with a button from her grandmother’s button box. Besides, like Hallie, Becky doesn’t want to carry her lunch to work in a homely plastic or paper sack. I would have to give this project some priority, I decided.
At first I struggled to select the fabric, but with Becky’s input I decided on the multi-colored dots on black. Then I struggled to find the right lining. It has to be right according to my own thinking or it just isn’t right, and when I saw the multi-colored stripes, I knew I had my pairing.

Yesterday I cut the bag out according to a pattern in Lunch Bags!, published by Stash Books. Becky had indicated that she just wanted to carry such lunch items as an apple and a container of yogurt, so I didn’t have to alter the size of the bag. And once I had the pieces cut, I was ready to sew. It came together quickly and easily. I don’t know why these things become “buffaloes.”

This morning I finished the bag and chose a big glossy pink button from Mother’s collection for that special vintage touch.  

Now it’s time to put the lunch sack in an envelope and mail it off. This soccer outfit for Emmy’s doll, including purchased accessories, is also packaged and ready to mail. Note the “staycation” rewards in the picture: doll dress patterns that are in-the-hoop machine embroidery designs and Crochet for Dolls, a new book by Nicky Epstein. The “fun, fabulous outfits” are just that – fun, fabulous, utterly charming – and probably not practical for the five-year-old. These are designs for Gramma Kathy’s doll. 

By the way, I'm still amassing those rewards. KW

8 comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

NICE bag, Kathy!

Hallie said...

Agreed! The bag turned out great--very fun! I like the sporty soccer wear, too.

Kathy said...

Thank you for the compliments.

I'm trying to coordinate doll outfits with Emmy's activities as much as possible.

Becky said...

I LOVE IT!!! And I'm sure I can fit a can of soup and a frozen meal in if need be also. THANK-YOU!! THANK-YOU!! (You could wait until I'm over that way so you don't have to mail it if you want.)

Kathy said...

Becky --I think it would accommodate those items. And -- it's insulated with quilt batting, so it should keep cold or hot items for a while.

It's packaged, addressed and ready to mail.

Becky said...

Awesome!! I'm excited and can't wait to start using it! :) Thank-you SOOO much!

Chris said...

Now that we're back home, I'm catching up with you! Darling bag! Well done you! And love the button nostalgia/Dorothy connection. Both packages will be received with joy!

Kathy said...

Mother's collection doesn't really have a lot of interesting buttons. What makes the buttons special is that they come from her box.

Unfortunately we got all the way to the farm with the packages to mail. I feel badly about that but it is what it is.

Having a ferocious wind storm with thunder and lightning right now. Lucky to be connected, I guess.