Saturday, September 28, 2013

CONTRIBUTING TO THE DELINQUENCY OF A SEWIST . . .



Chris sent me a link to the Pixie Faire site where various designers post patterns for the 18-inch doll, such as American Girl. The pattern in question was a 1930’s A-line dress, and she knew I would love it. As doll aficionados, Chris and I go way back. And I'm familiar with this site from which I’ve ordered a number of patterns.

As the family bookkeeper who records every expenditure in the proper category, Mike remarked that those patterns are kind of expensive. That was after I participated in the “buy ten, get one free promotion.” (And besides, then I had enough points to get two more patterns free – so really I got 13 for the price of ten. I’m affirmed by these deals.)

“Yes,” I explained, “but since I’m not buying a machine as a reward [for taking care of his dogs], I’m allowing myself to buy other things I’ve wanted but haven’t bought because of expense.” (In reality it’s not so much the expense as having to explain that I’m nurturing my inner child. The other day I had to explain the purchase of color books.)

So, as I was still digesting the import of Chris’ message, Mike was preparing the dogs for an impending hunt. They both knew what was happening. Nellie climbed on my lap to shiver in anticipation while Bess bounced off the walls. So, there I was – trapped on the sofa by Nellie when Bess bounced her breakfast right onto the carpet.

Mike was “indisposed,” so I became the clean-up committee of one. It’s been weeks since I had to clean the carpet, and I couldn’t find the carpet cleaner. Then when I did find it, I managed to grab the Swiffer spray in my haste. Finally I got it right and finished the cleaning.

“I get a reward today!” I called loudly. I ordered the A-line dress pattern –and several others as well, including the cute Halloween party dress. These patterns are downloads – and that’s affirming as well. Instant gratification! I save them on my iPad in Adobe Reader – and also on my computer so I can print out the pattern pieces.

Mike came back from hunting with praise for the “old pro’s” skills and pleased with the young dog’s interest. But if you’re rooting for the birds, take heart. They find very few this year. I’m not sure the dogs care. They just like to hunt.

After hunting we made sure the dogs were well-nourished. Mike mixed a little canned food with Bess’ chow and confined her to the kennel for her meal. He mixed the same for Nellie but also added some “after-the-hunt” senior tablets -- glucosamine for dogs or something. She doesn’t like the tablets, but camouflaging them in her food seemed to work. Left in solitary in the laundry room to eat without the distraction of “Bouncy Bess,” she licked her platter clean. And today she’s moving well. KW


6 comments:

Chris said...

Well, I don't know that I was trying to push any buttons, but I did think of your Shirley doll as soon as I saw the pattern. :-) I even considered it for myself, but my AG doll is Samantha, from 1912, and I'm loathe to mix my eras. Perhaps I need to buy another doll?

Kathy said...

That's right! Mixing eras is a no-no. I feel the same way. So, absolutely! You must have another doll -- Kit, Ruthie, or a doll to designate as your mid-century model.

Meanwhile, did you notice the 1915 dress? 1915 is close to 1912.

I've been looking at Madame Alexander's "Favorite Friends" dolls. Walmart has the "My Life" series, also made by Madame Alexander, whoever Madame is these days. It's only because I would have to explain myself that I haven't bought one of those dolls at Walmart.

Hallie said...

Can you really tell a doll's era when she's naked? I'm confused by the presented dilemma.

Looks like Bess has destroyed those shoes.

I must go make dinner before all motivation is lost (trust me, it's happening).

Kathy said...

Well . . . technically you are right, Hallie, but I understand what Aunt Chris is saying. American Girl has a number of historical dolls with stories to fire the imagination, and once you choose your doll, she's a representative of that era in the mind of the owner.

I chose Kit Kittredge because I wanted the Depression-Era doll. Her bobbed hairstyle was typical of that era but might also be contemporary. I don't know why Chris chose Samantha. Perhaps she'll tell us. She's probably made several period outfits for her Samantha. Here's a link to Samantha's story: http://americangirl.wikia.com/wiki/Samantha_Parkington_%28doll%29.

About my cute little shoes -- They were worn out anyway so I donated them to Bess, and it did help to keep her from stealing better shoes. But with dancing eyes she still loves to run to the bedroom and come back with a soft pink slipper. Her big teeth are coming in and she's not so interested in chewing. She also gets her teeth brushed every night.

I've had evenings when I've been so tired I didn't want to fix supper.

Chris said...

Two comments. First, when I got my Samantha doll, probably seventeen years or so ago, there were only a few choices. Felicity, Kirsten, Samantha, Molly, and Josefina. I really wanted one and chose Samantha because her era was close to both my grandmothers' and I liked the clothes the best! If I was rich, and of course I realize by most of the world's standards I am, I would have three or four more. But I don't have enough time to "devote" to their clothing needs, and I have no granddaughters, so one it is. And I do have other dolls.

Second, oh that dinner dilemma! Thank goodness Dan really likes leftovers and so I cook big pots/pans of things and we eat for several days. Otherwise, it can be egg on toast or chili potatoes when the cooking muse has left the building.

Kathy said...

Certain of my family thought I would choose a doll from an earlier era, but I have Ina's letters from the '30s when Shirley Jean was young, and Aunt Shirley, though an adult, was around the farm in that era.

I'm not going to play with the doll(s), but I do enjoy sewing for them. It's not the little girls who buy those patterns and sew for the dolls. Lots of adult women love this form of creativity.

Aunt Chris has a nice display of dolls in her family room -- opposite Uncle Dan's collection of nutcrackers.

Mike is good to eat leftovers, too. Together we manage our meals.