Monday, September 16, 2013

A GLEANER WENT OUT TO GLEAN . . .



I can hardly stand it. I’m sitting in the midst of acres and acres of post-harvested garbanzo fields, which means there are beans for the gleaning.
 
Did you know that another word for “gleaning” is “scrounging?” I’d rather be a gleaner than a scrounger. I don’t think it’s scrounging to glean in one’s own fields, is it?

Yesterday I picked up a gallon of mostly un-husked garbanzo beans. That’s hardly any compared to what’s left out there. So, I decided to get up early this morning and fill another container. I was awake at 5:00, but it was still dark. I stayed in bed until 5:45 when there was a hint of daylight.

“Do you think I’m being stupid to glean the garbanzos?” I asked Mike.

He laughed. “I don’t know. I do a lot of stupid things myself,” he said. (Hmmmm. Diplomatic answer that translates to “yes.”) We agreed that he was probably the wrong person to ask. We’re both compulsive personalities along the lines of our own interests.

So, after breakfast I took another pail and picked up more beans. The tough part is bending over and kneeling down. Soon I learned to pull a plant out of the ground and quickly remove the beans.

Thinking of the old days when threshing was done on the barn floor (at least, I think it was done on the barn floor), I commented to Mike that there must be a better way.

“Oh, there is,” he replied -- “a seven-hundred-thousand-dollar machine.”

I’m sure our farmer’s operation was efficient, but I swear there are enough garbanzos left behind to feed a small community for the winter. Okay – that’s vague and I don’t really know, but there are lots and it’s not practical to pick them up. I suspect I’d do more for the industry by buying my garbanzo beans in the grocery store.

But – as long as those beans are out there, they will continue to call my name. And I’ll continue to glean a few a day when I can – until the fields are re-planted or it rains or it snows or the deer eat them all or . . . KW



9 comments:

Chris said...

Oh, I think you should continue! Do you like hummus? You could make yummy batches! And feel so virtuous! (Personally, I think gleaning is a good word, and Biblical to boot! Scrounging sound rather like dumpster diving, and you definitely weren't doing that!)

Kathy said...

Yes, I agree, Chris -- scrounging is dumpster-diving and the like. Gleaning is much more respectable -- legitimate even.

Hallie also mentioned hummus. I don't know much about it, but I'm all for being virtuous.

Hallie said...

Free food! You didn't even have to do the labor of planting or tending. It's the best! A much better benefit than what wheat leaves behind.

Hummus is good--it makes raw carrots almost delicious. :) Also very good with pita bread or those pita chips in the store.

Chris said...

I just googled hummus from dried beans and found this recipe. All the reviews are great. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hummus-for-real-recipe/reviews/index.html

I love hummus!

Kathy said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Hallie and Chris. I'll check out the hummus link. Hope it doesn't have garlic in it.

Chris said...

Ooops, I'm sending a new link because the one before is for the reviews. And...it does have garlic.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hummus-for-real-recipe/index.html

Kathy said...

Thanks. That's okay -- I'll fix it up somehow. Tahini? Powdered sumac? I might have to fix it up a lot.

Chris said...

I picked up a good word for you today--foraging!! Doesn't that sound good? See, you're being intrepid, out foraging for food, doing your thing! Virtuous and adventurous!!!

Kathy said...

Yes, foraging is a good word. And -- it's so what we've been doing at the farm -- tramping around looking for ways to use what we find.

As an aside, Nick found a gooseberry bush on the other side of the north field, so now we'll have to watch and see if it bears.