Friday, October 4, 2013

MUSINGS OF A HOLIDAY SEEKER



T’is fall, and the holidays are in the very air. My thoughts turn naturally to Christmas craft magazines because their appearance is one of the first signs of the holidays in the marketplace. When I was a schoolgirl, Mother bought for us any that looked promising – and some that weren’t. I loved those magazines! We both looked through them time and time again. We found ideas for Christmas ornaments and decorations, recipes, and gifts. After Christmas we stored them on a shelf, and the next year we bought another batch. In those years, the collection was definitely an “add to,” and we looked forward to buying them.

Then I grew up and went away from home and we didn’t buy holiday magazines much – either one of us. Why does it seem like the world changed so much at that point? Is it that way for everyone, or is it because for me the ‘60s became the ‘70s and the world really did change? But I digress. When it came time to move Mother from the old family home, the “original” collection was still on the shelf and I was allowed to take it. Eventually I pared it down to the best of the best and every year I take a trip down memory lane by looking through them again.


And I wonder – Did Mother love those magazines, or did I love them and she indulged my whim? A little of both perhaps.

This time of year I begin to be in a holiday mood – you know – short days and the chill in the air, harvest festivities, Halloween and Thanksgiving with Christmas following closely behind. And of course, I need to be affirmed by tangible signs in my world. Wednesday I was out and about so I stopped by the old “shopping center” (we can’t call it a mall) to see what’s going on. I was surprised that the stores -- what few remain there -- weren’t bursting with merchandise – no, not so much as a glittering holiday sweater by Alfred Dunner. Guess I was rushing the season a bit, but I believed that I could count on Bath and Body Works to provide the affirmation I sought.
 
“I just came in to see what’s new for Halloween,” I explained to the friendly manager. In the past few years I’ve bought a lot of Halloween and Christmas soap and candles at B&BW.

I was surprised when he said, “Not much!” He pointed out what little was available and adding that B&BW is going straight to Christmas this year. But clearly, they haven’t done so yet.

I was disappointed. The Halloween products were fun stuff, I said, and he agreed. I took them up on the current promotion – a free mini candle – for which I bought a stupid decorative ring with a bat on it. (Didn’t realize it was quite so stupid until I got home.)

One drawback on B&BW soap, though – it’s anti-bacterial which reportedly isn’t good for us or our environment. My thinking is that B&BW is most interested in the development of scented products rather than our health. I wonder if I can fill the B&BW containers with regular hand soap to take advantage of the decorative effect.

Meanwhile, I’ve had to content myself with “ghostly” glow-in-the-dark SoftSoap from Albertsons and a sack of “fall ornamentals” in the form of a “mini pumpkins combo” purchased for a pittance at Safeway. KW

[Photo 1) A copy of BHG's "Christmas Ideas" from the 1950s. These days I follow BHG's "100 Days of Holidays" online. 2) A scented candle from B&BW sits in an autumn-themed holder. 3) Lighted Halloween houses sits on our display stand. I purchased the houses at Jo-Ann Fabrics several years ago. 4) An array of Halloween items, including those purchased previous years from B&BW and this year's SoftSoap.] 

5 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, I was just reading on another blog about B&BW pumpkin offerings! So they do have fall things. Here's the link: http://www.patchworktimes.com/2013/10/04/more-pumpkin-goodies/

Mom didn't buy holiday magazines, but when I got old enough, probably middle high school, I talked her into some, and I, of course bought them when I married and started a home. I bought them for years, and then all of a sudden, they no longer had interesting things in them. I'd say for me it was the 90's. I still, hopefully, pick them up at the store and look, but they seem to have so little in them any more that I don't buy them. Or maybe it's because I have so much? I've pondered this and have no answer.

Kathy said...

Oh yes! They have fall scents in appropriate packaging. But they don't have Halloween goods the way they have in the past -- glow-in-the-dark spout covers, ghoulish soap container covers, and even special soap -- like "Dracula Blood" in red. Maybe it didn't sell, or maybe once offered, the consumer didn't need more.

I have a few magazines from the '80s and '90s. The ostentatious family gathering doesn't happen at my house, though, so I put my energies into simple ideas.

Chris, I remember being at your house one day when your mom was looking at Woman's Day and Family Circle. They cost just 29 cents, she said, and had such great ideas. Well, today the cost of any paper magazine is enough to make anyone think twice, and the content seems to be mostly advertising.

Chris said...

Oh, I see what you mean. I misunderstood and thought maybe the Lewiston store was just not getting any fall things in and covering for it by saying there weren't any. And maybe you're right--once people bought the Halloween things they didn't need more.

Yes, Mom enjoyed those magazines and did usually buy them every month, but we didn't buy special Christmas magazines until I was exposed to them at your house. I picked up a magazine the other day and it was $9.95!! And, as you say, mostly ads. And I've seen them priced even higher! Like you, I have a stack of oldies but goodies, and I get them out. And then there's Pinterest!!

Kathy said...

I can purchase a book of "vintage" interest off Amazon for less than I can buy a magazine. So that's what I do --buy from Amazon. Still, it was fun -- back in the day -- to put a magazine in the cart with the groceries. I think it's a disappearing medium.

Since a family member worked for B&BW and I was shown the store in a positive light, I have enjoyed stopping from time to time. But I also know people who don't like to go in because of the scents.

Hallie said...

It's a lot of fun to look through the old magazines. It's interesting to see how much has changed and how much HASN'T. I think the old advertisements are just as entertaining as the content. It's nonsense that magazines that are filled with advertisements are so expensive.