Saturday, October 12, 2013

ELDERBERRY FEST, 2013



An official “Elderberry Fest” isn’t going to happen this year – at least, not with my protégés Hallie and Nick. They can’t get away just now – too much going on in their world. But we rejoice because it’s all good – a new job for Hallie; Nick going back to school; and house-hunting. As Hallie puts it: "This year is special."

But Mike and I decided not to let the season of elderberries slip by without picking some and at least making juice for the freezer. After all, I’ve been making elderberry jelly for thirty years, and I can do it again.

Mike had found a promising bush in a protected draw north of the house, so we went there and picked nice clusters of juicy berries. It wasn’t that the bush was just loaded with clusters. It wasn’t. But the clusters were well-ripened, full, and juicy.  As we picked we zipped the berries off their stems. We’ve never done it so efficiently.

Back at the house I found we had picked more than a gallon of berries. I washed them well, covered them with water in a stock pot and simmered them for 20 minutes, mashing frequently. While the berries drained through cheesecloth, I went out to plant spring bulbs.

And just how many spring bulbs did I want to plant? Oh, 165. “Daffodils for Naturalizing,” they’re called. And yes, I was a bit overzealous in my desire to naturalize. I had one relatively small area of loose dirt ready to plant, but on the bank behind the house, which I visualize as an array of spring blooms, the heavy soil is difficult. Nevertheless, I planted bulbs in several spots, pulling out weeds and grass in the process. I hope I planted them deep enough.

Back in the house, I had pans of elderberry juice awaiting me and decided not to fool around with the slow straining process. This would be enough juice. Stepping to my new cabinet on the sun porch, I chose four generic quart jars and filled each with about 3 ½ cups of juice, each one enough for one batch of jelly – maybe two. And then I began to clean up the mess, washing pots and pans while Mike grilled salmon for our supper.

It was a day filled with chores, and I had more to do. I was up the next morning and out to plant more bulbs. This time I set quite a few in the border on the south side of the house. I just couldn’t face more work on the bank, so I picked up the sack of bulbs and began to tour the yard in search of easy spots to plant and finding none. But, as I told Mike, time is still on my side. I can plant again on the next trip, or I might set some in the town beds. For sure I’ll plant the snowdrops in town. Otherwise, I’ll never see them.
 
So, it was just a quick trip to the farm. Up on Thursday (Oct. 10) and back before lunch on Friday. Here’s a picture of Nellie and Bess waiting to be released from their kennel upon our return from running errands. KW




6 comments:

Hallie said...

I'm working on the last tray on my four-tray worm bin. Once it's full, I'll harvest the compost on the bottom. Depending upon how it comes out, I may bring some over. I've been putting "leachate" on my planter bed. That's the nutrient-rich liquid that seeps through to the bottom of the bin. I haven't been diluting it before putting it on the plants, and I hope that's okay.

Kathy said...

I guess your plants are going to tell you if they want the "leachate" to be diluted. I don't think it would hurt to dilute it. Will this be the first time you've harvested the compost.

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

(Missed the typos in my first try, so I deleted and am posting again.)

Sorry your apprentices couldn't be there, but as they say, it's a special year with lots of new happenings. I continue to be totally impressed that you make jelly--I always make jam. It's so much easier!

Also impressed with Hallie's worm farm skills!

Meanwhile, at our house, bulbs are being dug up! We're trying to come up with a new plan for the flower area next to the street that's less intensive. We hope..

Hallie said...

No, I harvested a tray this summer. I put some on Nick's tomatoes, which did very well despite our late start, and I put some on the cherry tree at the farm. :)

Kathy said...

Don't worry about your typos, Chris. Your message is always clear. Yesterday I was reading comments on Nancy's blog, and I was amazed not by the typos but the mistakes and poor grammar. Oh the laxity! I it's caused by the "language" of texting which is spilling into other areas of the written word.

So, you're having a yard revision at your house, Chris?

Oh yes, Hallie -- I remember now. I'm glad you had good tomatoes. I set out five plants in late May and they didn't begin to set on fruit until mid-August. I lost many to Bess, and the rest aren't going to ripen on the vine at this time of year.