Wednesday, October 23, 2013

PRE-HALLOWEEN MUSINGS



I bought a bag of peanut butter taffy at the Dollar Tree last week, thinking that it would fill our Halloween candy dish nicely. I knew Mike would like it, and now and then maybe I would have a piece myself.

Wednesday morning as I cleaned the kitchen, I decided to indulge my sweet tooth. I bit into the taffy which suctioned onto my lower teeth, gluing my teeth together. As I pulled my teeth apart with great effort, I felt something give way in the lower row and came up with a crown. I called our dentist immediately and was told to be there in an hour. I was so relieved that I wouldn’t have to wait.

“Tell me,” asked the dentist in a confidential tone, “was it Halloween candy?”

“Yes,” I admitted sheepishly.

“There’s quite an epidemic of that this year,” he said.

“I suppose it’s because we’re all going cheap,” I replied.

The dentist said the tooth looked really good and it was a simple matter of cementing the crown back in place. He said that crown was placed in 1975 -- 38 years ago. Pretty good longevity. Just the same, no more taffy or caramels for me. (Unless, you know, I soften it in the microwave first. I know how to do that.)

On my way to the dentist’s office I mailed some Halloween window decorations and a ghostly notepad to granddaughter Emmy. Sunday afternoon she called to thank me and we talked about things that interest a kindergartner – Halloween coming up, her soccer team, our puppy, her school, her American Girl doll, etc. I think this is the first phone conversation I’ve had with Emmy when information was actually exchanged. I didn’t understand what she’s going to be for Halloween, though, and forgot to ask her mom.

The Halloween pictures in the slide show were taken at Emmy’s house last year during our visit. Emmy says the big vacuum-powered witch is standing in the front yard again. And Emmy’s mom said they got several big pumpkins and would miss Grandpa Mike’s jack-o-lantern carving skills.

No, we aren’t going to the “Mile High City” this Halloween. It’s a wonderful tradition but we don’t do it every year. As it happened, I had rather wistfully thought about the trip Sunday morning when grocery shopping. I’m out of ground cloves, one of my favorite spices, but when I saw the price ($8.50 for a tiny container), I said I’d limp along without it. But that reminded me that when we’re visiting in the Denver area, I always replenish my stock of spices. They seem to be less expensive in the city.

Yesterday I finished the Halloween party outfit for Emmy’s American Girl doll. How do these holidays sneak up on me like this? KW

6 comments:

Hallie said...

That's a very fun and festive outfit! I especially like the window decorations. How many trick or treaters are we guessing this year?

Kathy said...

As I recall, last year we had a handful -- like 10 -- and that was a surprise. We usually have none. My guess is we'll have no more than 10. I'll pick up a bag of candy bars just in case. I'll make our traditional lentil chili and a pumpkin pie.

Chris said...

So glad they could fix your took so quickly. I've used the microwave treatment on caramels and it works so well, especially when they're old.

We don't get trick or treaters here, and I must say I don't miss them at all. I like the quiet nights. Must be getting old. :-)

Chris said...

Meanwhile, as usual, I realized I hadn't commented on the adorable outfit for Emmy's doll! You did a fabulous job on it and she'll love it. Too much fun!

Kathy said...

Thanks, Chris!

At the Broadview house -- and even on 12th Ave. - we had a lot of candy seekers. But we noticed a change the last several years we lived on Broadview. I think parents are taking their kids to parties or controlled environments.

Chris said...

I think you're right. Here, I know, they go to the malls and the living groups on campus. Also, there are two areas in town (upscale) that people drive their kids to. I have a friend in one and she always plans for 300+. Yikes!