Monday, October 21, 2013

REWARD DAY



I think this is a reward day. Yes, I’m confident that it is.

“I’m leaving Bess behind on Monday,” Mike said on Saturday afternoon. I thought his tone was rather cautious. “She won’t like it but it can’t be helped.”

Hmmmm. Bess won’t like it?

You see, a friend with a boat is taking Mike and Ken upriver today to hunt chukar. However, Bess and Ken’s dog, Pepper, like to mix it up a bit – play a little rough, as it were. Initially, Bess was a bit intimidated by Pepper’s playful advances, but then she learned to push back and is no longer cowed.

“We can’t have that in the boat,” said Mike, “so Bess has to stay behind. I’ll take Nellie.”

I didn’t say anything much, but I could see that my Monday would be a lost cause. If Nellie is left behind, I can count on her to resignedly sigh, turn her back to show her disdain, and take a long nap. But Bess would be a handful.

Last night Mike advised me that he had packed his hunting gear into the pick-up so as to sneak off – er – leave as quickly and efficiently as possible. “I’m afraid Bess won’t be fooled, though,” he remarked.

I was in the bedroom when he left at 6:20, and I found Bess crying in the kitchen at the sliding door.

“It’s all right, Bessie Boo,” I tried to comfort her. “Here – eat something. It always works for me.” And I gave her a helping of puppy chow.

That didn’t do it, though. She crunched a little but spread several mouthfuls onto the floor, which I figured was some kind of statement.

With every little sound – the snap of the fridge turning on or a pop of the pipes – she would perk up her ears and look outside. “I know it’s a mistake,” she seemed to say. “Mike just forgot to take me. I know he’ll be back to get me.”

The thing was – it was still dark outside. If it had been light, I could have distracted her with a walk in the first place. I waited an hour before taking her out for a long walk. I think she had a good time. We heard roosters and pheasants crowing, and we saw five mule deer. And she played with a plastic cup she found along the way, tossing it in the air and catching it again.

Back in the house, she finished her breakfast, cleaned up the chow on the floor, and took a little nap. The day isn’t over, though. She’ll want to go outside, and I’ll have to keep an eye on her. I've already had to wash her dirty paws.

My reward? Keepsake Quilting shows pre-printed panels for two American Girl outfits. A reward for me makes a gift for Emmy. What could be better? KW

3 comments:

Chris said...

Sound like Bess is a true hunting dog! And yay to doll clothes! :-)

Hallie said...

I want to hear Bess talk!

Kathy said...

Yes, Mike is pleased with Bess. He took her out this afternoon and reported that she hunted hard for the birds that weren't there. She puts her nose to the ground and goes.

I'm sure if you spend a day or two around Bess, she will talk to you.