Wednesday, February 14, 2018

FROM HAT BANDS TO PAJAMA TOPS

My 18-inch family*
In December 2016 I walked into my local Dollar Tree and was immediately captivated by a display of Santa hats with Disney-themed brims of lightweight fleece. I've never focused on Disney myself, but my dolls love Disney themes, and Disney makes a nice over-arching theme for all my doll interests, from the '30s to the present. I knew I could do something with those hat brims, and suddenly I saw cozy pajama tops. I bought six hats -- only one dollar each, remember.

I made a good start on the project. First I removed the bands from the hats -- easy to do -- and then I washed them. Nothing bad happened. They came out nice and clean. The bands were folded double, so I had enough fabric to make front and back. For the sleeves, I used a lightweight knit left over from daughter Hallie's childhood. The pants are scraps of fleece and flannel.

This one went to Hazel.
Naturally, Christmas passed -- and January passed (and this was last year, remember) -- and it was time to move on from holiday projects. I tucked all the pieces into an envelope, labeled it, and stashed it in the closet where it remained until December 2017. I still didn't have time to make all the pajamas before Christmas, but I finished one for Hazel, modeled here by Shirley Anne, American Farm Girl. (Yes, I do remember that I posted it before.) Her pajama bottoms were leggings, as I recall.

Mike points out that the girls are all barefooted. We're aware of the need to keep our feet warm at our house, so yes, I guess they will have to have slippers.

I honestly can't tell you why I decided I had to make six of these. I guess I could just see my family of dolls waiting for Santa in their Christmas pajamas, plus I wanted one or two to share with other dolls for whom I sew. KW

*Right to left, the dolls are:
Shirley Anne, American Farm Girl (aka Kit Kittredge), my 1930's farm girl
American Girl Maryellen, 1950s
Esmee, a Tonner "My Imagination" doll, who represents magical themes
American Girl Molly, 1940s
And Lexy, a Madame Alexander "Favorite Friends" doll who has contemporary interests

5 comments:

Chris said...

Those are just so cute!! You are so creative! And I love your dolls all dressed in their jammies. They'll be so excited when next Christmas comes and they have appropriate sleepwear. :-)

Kathy said...

Yes -- but for right now they quell some disappointment that they are not dressed for Valentine's Day. They fear that this trend does not bode well for Halloween.

Chris said...

Oh, you made me chuckle out loud!!! So start on Halloween and at Halloween, work on Valentines's Day! (I'm trying to learn this strategy myself...)

Kathy said...

That's right! And I think the purveyors of fabric are finally getting the picture, too. It doesn't hurt to start making plans months in advance. If you don't, all is lost. Life happens, as they say.

Hallie said...

The red leggings work especially well for Valentines Day. She just needs a white top with an embroidered heart(s). I guess the date has already passed...