Thursday, February 22, 2018

. . . AND MAMA IN HER KERCHIEF AND I IN MY CAP . . .


We're in the midst of a cold snap. It's not that cold snaps in February don't happen, but week before last the weather was so mild that Mike was doing yard work. "It's too soon," I said, continuing to nest in my sewing room. Nevertheless, we really didn't expect it to get as cold as it is -- lows around 20 with highs at 35 or so with a windchill about 10 degrees lower.

I don't think I told you this, but early in January Mike installed a blade on our 4-wheeler. He had intended to do it last year but forgot about it, and a white Christmas at the farm showed us again that if we had a blade, perhaps we could shovel the lane, thus making ourselves more self-reliant. A blade might also be useful for shoveling a little dirt now and again. 

So, Mike installed the blade and a manual lift, then removed the blade again, thinking he would have no call to use it this winter. But this morning we awoke to an inch of snow (if that) and he was determined to try his blade. First he had to re-attach the blade, and he then shoveled our driveway. Yeah -- it was sorta silly, I thought, since there wasn't much snow. But he was pleased that he didn't have to shovel it manually.

Mike hikes above Critchfield Rd. Snake River just visible. Snow on mountains.
It's been a winter of updates and fixes -- the blade for the 4-wheeler, a new laptop (by necessity), a fix for our old farm clock (a family heirloom), and a new charging unit for the camera. While I was fixing things, I took my sewing machine to the shop. These early months of 2018 have seemed stressful. Hopefully we're coming out on the other side.



Oh -- and Nellie has been "under the weather," as we say, this past week. Is this the end, we wondered, or will we get her through this and she'll continue for another six years. She was not down and out -- just difficult to care for. She's better now. In fact, yesterday we hiked a draw in our neighborhood, and she really enjoyed it. Everyone beat me back to the Dakota. KW

[This is the first time I've uploaded a video. Now that I know I can, I'll do better next time.]

9 comments:

M/W said...

Only a skiff of snow but I wanted to see if the plow was going to work. It did fine and I'm glad I opted for the manual lift rather than a wench. It was very handy and much faster than a wench would have been. Bring on the blizzard.

Chuck said...

Mike, how do you hitch a "wench" to your 4-wheeler? Sometimes I think I have a "wench" in some of my projects. Enjoy your projects.

Kathy said...

Chuck -- Mike is laughing even as I write. He says if spellcheck doesn't catch it, he's sunk.

Chris said...

Dan says you have to attach wenches very carefully! And marry a good one!! LOL

Kathy said...

Mike is laughing again! Actually, Mike's first comment was that he has a mean wench.

Chris said...

What??? I don't think so!!

Kathy said...

I think if he attached his wench to the 4-wheeler, he might find 'er kinda mean.

Becky said...

On a different note, I want to challenge on the early months of 2018 seeming stressful........ I can definitely relate. But it has been a good stressful on my part and there is for sure the other side and I am excited for that side!! (And you know what I'm talking about) Life is good!!
Now about the wench........ Love the comments!!!!! Haha

Kathy said...

Hi Becky!
I tell myself that all progress will involve some stress. It's so good that you see yourself coming out on the other side.