Wednesday, February 28, 2018

MA'S VINEGAR PIE

Lucy Dickson
I can just hear my dad chortling away as he read recipes from his mother's recipe box. (His mother was the "Ina" who often serves as a focus for this blog when we aren't having real-life adventures.)

Lucy Ream Dickson
Yesterday, as I searched for another gingerbread recipe, I came across this one for "Ma's Vinegar Pie" in Grandma Ina's recipe box. I wondered if people really made vinegar pie, so I asked my computer and it supplied many recipes and some information. From "Heritage Recipes" I learned that this was a pie that pioneers made in the winter when the dried fruits had been depleted. Made with apple cider vinegar, apparently it's much like apple pie.

Ma's Vinegar Pie (from the Dobson collection)
1/2 cup of vinegar
1/2 cup hot water
1 scant cup molasses or sugar
Butter 1/2 the size of an egg
1 heaping tablespoon of bread or cracker crumbs
1/4 of a nutmeg or flavoring to suit the taste 

Lafe & Lucy Dickson
And there you have it. Evidently Ina copied this recipe from one in her Pa's handwriting at Drain, Oregon, on April 12, 1914.

However, before you run to the kitchen to try to this recipe, you may want to heed Ina's note on the outside of this scrap of paper:
"Ma's vinegar pie -- all wrong -- use at least one cup crumbs."

Well, if Ina says it's all wrong, I'm just not going to try it. The wonder is that she didn't just toss it, but if she had, then I would never know a thing about vinegar pie. I really think it needs an egg, if you have one to spare. Other recipes use much less vinegar.

So, recipes abound online for vinegar pie, and if you're interested (I admit that I'm a little interested), I recommend trying one of those rather than this one. KW

[Lucy Dickson is the "Ma" to whom this recipe is attributed. She was Ina's mother and hence my great-grandmother.]

3 comments:

Hallie said...

This reminds me! I was staying healthy with my apple cider vinegar & honey tincture. I bought some local honey at the Puget Sound Beekeepers Association and need to get back to my routine. If you add enough sweetener to apple cider vinegar, it does basically taste like apple cider. My tincture: 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar; 1 Tbs honey; 6 - 8 oz hot water.

Chris said...

Hmm, I think I have heard of vinegar pie before. I'll have to do some investigating in my recipe books and see what I find. At first pause, it doesn't sound very appetizing, but who knows?

Kathy said...

I keep a bottle of Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in my pantry. I don't make an elixir, but I do drink the vinegar from time to time. I add a little apple juice and a lot of water, and I find it palatable. I believe it serves a purpose akin to cranberry juice.

Yes -- this pie is put together with what you might have on hand when fruit isn't available. You might not bother at all, but if your supplies are depleted, maybe your family is a little hungry. We have better recipes now -- even better recipes for vinegar pie.