Monday, April 20, 2009

SECOND CHILDHOOD


This photo is of the Hellsgate Marina located on the Snake River in Hellsgate State Park (Idaho). On the right what you see is a manmade levee between the marina and the river and it's connected to the river bank only by a gate. On that levee is a new geocache titled "The Gate." Mike wants to be the first to find it, but we don't have a boat and the water is a little cold for swimming.
"I think I could do it," mumbled Mike. "I could just go over the gate – hand over hand. I think I could do it."
"Hmmmm," I demurred. "I don't think it's a good idea." I could have reminded him of all his aches and pains, but I don't like to remind people of their limitations. And there were other reasons it wouldn't be a good idea.

So, after having looked at the gate, we hiked on up the river to another cache site, giving Nellie and Duke a chance to exercise. Here's a photo of the picturesque little town of Asotin, Washington, on the other side of the river; in the distance you can see snow on the mountains. And here's some of the interesting "ropa" on the Idaho side of the river. I was confident Mike has forgotten about "The Gate," and I began to relax.

But – no such luck. We loaded the dogs into the Dakota and he drove back to the park entrance, turning into the marina parking lot. So, there was nothing left for me to do but take pictures.




The hand-over-hand method was eventually abandoned for bracing his rib cage over the gate and inching along. Guess what hurts now.










Over the gate.










"Am I over the rocks yet?"


















Made it!




Sad to say, he didn't find the cache. Someone else was the first to find it, but Mike and Ken will go out in Ken's boat tomorrow and look for it.

3 comments:

Hallie said...

Hmmmmm...

debdog42 said...

That man is crazy as a loon! HAHAHA!!! I hope he has his life insurance paid up!

murray.warnock said...

WHY???

Oh yeah - because it's there!

Murray & Doug