Monday, October 23, 2017

WHERE TO NEXT?



We were so focused on visits from our children – Hallie’s for Elderberry Fest (Oct. 13-15) and then Yancey’s for two whirlwind days of bird-hunting (Oct. 20-21) with Mike – that we are now at a loss as to how to move on. For two weeks our activities were more or less structured, and now we have letdown.

Actually, this bothers Mike more than it does me. I want to sew and play with my new embroidery machine, the Brother PE770, and I could still feel Yancey's good-by hug (Sunday, Oct. 22) as I quickly began converting the guest room back into a sewing studio, congratulating myself on the excellent job of reorganization.
 
But Mike said yesterday he had no plans for the coming week, and how do we cope when we’re at loose ends? Why, we go geocaching, of course. And so, as a late afternoon activity, we walked the beautiful campus of Lewis Clark State College and picked up four geocaches. I found the first as Mike was just ready to give up. He found the other three.

Saturday night Yancey treated us to dinner at Bojack’s in Lewiston. We were skeptical of going there, but he reminded us that his first job was washing dishes at Bojack’s. Since we can offer little that’s nostalgic of life 35 years ago, we decided to give it a try. “I am so happy to be here,” Yancey exclaimed, messaging his brother Murray, who also washed dishes there, that he was at Bojack’s. I think we agreed that the food was acceptable but not exceptional, which is the way Mike and I feel about most restaurant meals. It was just being there that was important.

Well, the schedule is already filling up. Stay tuned . . . 

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I envy waking up when you want and filling your day with whatever you please.

Kathy said...

Yeah -- it's great! But there's a downside. People really do need purpose and structure. For the most part we're busy, and that's good. I could almost say, "Read on," but I haven't written it yet.