Wednesday, January 24, 2018

LAPTOP UPDATE

When last I wrote, we were heading out to buy my new laptop at Staples. Fortunately, when we got there, they were sold out of the model I thought I wanted. The associate offered to order one for me, but they were also out at the warehouse, and the associate said they might not get another shipment. I was disappointed, yes, because I wanted to get on with it. However, I recognized this as a message. This was not my laptop.

Daughter Hallie agreed. "You deserve a laptop that's better than possibly the cheapest model on the market," she said.

With some frustration, I returned to the drawing board. Knowing that my next laptop could not be found in the local market, the sheer multitude of models available online was daunting. I barely knew how to begin to research, but then it occurred to me -- "laptops for writers." Sure enough, I found several articles on the subject. I had pages of notes before the afternoon was over. 

Sharing my results with Hallie, she came back with, "Yeah -- now you're talking." So, I slept on it, reviewed my notes this morning, and sent my three top choices to Hallie, indicating my first choice as an Asus Zenbook -- I just love the name! -- but independently of one another, Hallie and I both concluded that the Acer Aspire Convertible was really my laptop. 

So -- just keeping you in the loop. It should be here tomorrow. KW





2 comments:

Chris said...

Yes, you deserve a better laptop than the cheapest on the market!! I'm so glad it wasn't available and that you're getting what you want. Hooray!!!

Kathy said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Chris. You may remember that my first laptop was very nice, but it developed problems while it was still young -- a bad period in HP's history. Having had that disappointing experience, I settled on a low-end Toshiba for my next laptop, thinking to replace in a couple of years. But -- the Toshiba marched on -- and on and on. I replaced the battery; I replaced the keyboard. And still we marched on. Today I'm excited for the delivery of my new laptop, and I have a tech on standby for the transfer. It's a good thing. The Toshiba is getting S-L-O-W--E---R.