Saturday, April 14, 2018

POSSIBLE – JUST NOT PROBABLE


Mike ambles above Critchfield Gulch
“It’s going to be nice on Saturday,” said Mike hopefully on Wednesday as he gazed at his weather app. My heart went out to him because he so looks forward to some real warmth. He hopes every fire he builds in the little stove will be the last one of the season.

Evening rainbow (several days ago)
“It’s going to be nice on Saturday,” Mike reminded me on Thursday. “We’ll see,” I said to myself.

“It’s supposed to be nice tomorrow,” said Mike on Friday. “70 degrees. I’ll grill a pheasant for supper.”

“Okay,” I said, still skeptical. It was 32 degrees again Friday morning and we haven’t seen much sun. It just didn’t seem likely it would turn into spring by the next day.

And it didn’t. Temps in the mid-60s, more clouds than sun, and a little rainy. It’s just too soon to expect consistency.

We’re exercising three dogs for a while. Our friend Pepper is boarded at a facility nearby, so we pick her up and head to a dog park. She and Bess, both five years old, run ahead exuberantly while independent Nellie, now 14, prefers to explore by herself. Today Mike dubbed her the “Ridge Roamer.” I worry because she lags so far behind, sometimes out of sight, but Mike says, “Don’t worry – she’ll be first at the pick-up,” and sure enough – she is!
Nellie

Bess smells something
The real problem with Nellie is that she’s deaf – or nearly so – and doesn’t respond to voice commands. Of course, as in any situation of hearing impairment, you never know what she will hear, so we’re careful what we say in her presence.

Spring cleaning for the Dakota
On today’s walk up Critchfield Gulch, we saw a coyote watching us from the ridge above. It continued to watch us as we were leaving. Sometimes it’s tough to remember that the coyote is my ally in the great rodent war. 


And don't think that because we walked the dogs this morning that they'll be willing to let us off the hook for the afternoon walk. Oh no! Promptly at 2:30 they begin to think about it, and by 2:45 they are insistent.

Yarrow plants
Today I’m planting 15 yarrow plants (root stock) in pots. The next step will be to be plant them on the bank behind the house at the farm. That's the trouble with ordering plants -- they don't come at a convenient time -- but oh! -- I do so hope this works! KW


Rainbow Yarrow Mixture
Yarrow -- copied from Brecks.com


5 comments:

Chuck said...

What are Yarrow plants? What do you so with them? It is 80 here today. Too bad I can't send you some. Yesterday, it was 55. Spring is definitely here.

Kathy said...

Hi Chuck!
I posted a picture of yarrow which I copied from Brecks.com. We have a common form here (and at the farm) that's considered a weed, but colors are available, and that's what I ordered. It has tiny blossoms and a ferny leaf. It does well in rocks, is drought-tolerant, and spreads. And the deer don't eat it. Some people suggest it's gauche to let the white weed grow in your garden, but we decided as weeds go, it's better than some alternatives. And besides, Mike likes it.

Chris said...

So did you grill?? It was pretty decent here by evening. I went with the morning's weather, however, and made a big pot of elk stew and corn muffins. :-)

Kathy said...

Yes, the afternoon was decent, and Mike grilled a nice tender pheasant. Your meal sounds delicious. Ours was, too.

Trying to make a sleep mask out of spandex. Wish you were here.

Chris said...

Hmm, I don't know that I'd be much help. I've only sewn with it a couple of times, many years ago.