Tuesday, April 10, 2018

THERE! WAS THAT SO HARD?



I’ve finished up a few things that have been on my list for a while.

Searching for advice on how to freshen the old mohair throw, I read that it need not be dry cleaned. “Why would you put it into a chemical bath when you can wash it,” asked the expert. “Yes, you can wash it. Just don’t put it in the dryer. You can even wash it in the washing machine on the delicate cycle with detergent formulated for wool.” So I did that, and nothing bad happened. Even the mended area held. Then I draped the wet throw over my wooden clothes rack outside in the breeze. When I was sure it was dry, I tossed it in the dryer on air fluff. Now it’s draped over the back of the sofa in the sewing studio, a lovely reminder of a mother who loved to sew.

Here’s a cute little robe that I made from Simplicity 8281 for American Girl dolls. Frankly, I’d like to try this again for several reason.
1)   I think I could do better. (Isn’t that the way? The first is always a prototype.)
2)   Though the pattern doesn’t call for a lining, I think the hood would be prettier if lined. I don’t like seeing all those seams and darts when the hood is down, and it just has a flimsy feel.
3)   The weight of the fabric I used was too light. I have a heavier knit in mind.
4)   It was fun to make, and several dolls on my list want one.

And here’s another cute finish – a crocheted sweater using Sweet Pea Fashions Cobblestone Sweater pattern, purchased through Pixie Faire. Patterns abound online and not all of them are easy to read or come out right. This is a good one.

Some weeks back I bought several packets of “blanket flower” seeds and four starter trays (a dozen cells each), and this morning I planted them. Yes, I’m late, but for the farm, it probably won’t matter. I’m not terribly hopeful that this project will be a success, but the trays and the seeds didn’t cost much more than one plant, so we’ll see how it goes. KW

3 comments:

Hallie said...

I planted seeds in trays last weekend. If I’m late, I’m still two months earlier than we got our garden going in other years. I don’t know what I’m doing. I seeded carrots, peas, beets, and lupine (flowers). Most of those probably could have gone straight into the garden, but I wanted to do them as starts. I like taking close care.

Hallie said...

Also, the repair is amazing! I've known that throw for so long it's the homiest thing I can think of. Right up there with Ganky.

Becky said...

I am SO happy that the throw is being loved and care for!! :) It's where it should be.