Monday, August 13, 2018

A HINT OF AUTUMN IN THE AIR



Late afternoon behind the house, August 13


We faced record-breaking heat last week. According to the Lewiston Tribune of Saturday, August 11, Thursday’s high was a record for the date of 111 degrees. Friday’s high also set a record for that date at 108 degrees. It was hot, and when it’s that hot, the lows are high, too – in the 70s – so our air-conditioner ran a lot. A cold front moved through on Saturday, bringing the temps down by 20 degrees, to a pleasant 90.

The smoke is visible to the northeast
But the thing is, the lows have been downright chilly – below 60. And the air just has that feeling of fall. I’ll soon trade my summer decorations – Americana and “red, white, and blue” – for pumpkins, witches, and ghosts. Oh! And there’s that unfinished ripple afghan in Halloween colors. With cooler temps, maybe I’ll get it finished.

More smoke
But it’s a little too soon yet for those things. I say cooler temps, but we’ll be up and down for a while. The season is just changing – days getting shorter and slower to warm. A blanket is needed before dawn and a sweater is nice in the morning. Today I did what anyone might do on a cooler day – I baked cookies. Mike has discovered frozen cookies, so most of what I baked went into the freezer. And when son Clint comes over, perhaps I’ll have a bag for him, too.

Bess
They say the cooler temperatures have helped the firefighters bring regional wildfires under control, but this afternoon our valley filled with smoke again. I can even smell it. Mike said he could barely see the Lewiston Hill from the Aquatic Center because of the smoke. And it seems to be moving right up our gulch. KW

 

1 comment:

Hallie said...

Since I was home yesterday, I also baked in the cool morning. I made some pumpkin muffkins. The days are getting noticeably shorter--I hate to even wish for the fall since summer is so nice here.