Tuesday, August 7, 2018

HOT AND HAZY

Three disappointing tomato plants

Thursday’s high in our valley is supposed to hit 114!! An “excessive heat watch” is in effect for Wednesday through Friday. The record high in Lewiston was 115 set on August 4, 1961. We might be tempted to escape to the farmhouse at higher elevation if it weren’t torn up, but it will be hot there, too, so maybe we’re better off here in town with the air conditioner.

So, it's hot and also hazy due to the wildfires near and far. I suppose we all have that haze.
One "Rutgers" tomato

Since we’re spending the summer in town, I decided to set out three tomato plants, but they aren’t bearing much fruit. Is it the heat? Did I not set them deep enough? I bought my plants at Walmart when they were rather picked over. The one labeled as “Heirloom Beefsteak” has shown itself to be a cherry tomato. Perhaps it’s just as well. I think they stand the heat better than regular tomatoes. This morning I picked ten little tomatoes to serve with our taco salad tonight. The second plant is supposedly an “Heirloom Rutgers,” whatever that is, and it’s been sitting there for several weeks with just one green tomato that refuses to ripen. The other plant looks good but has just one small tomato. I dutifully water the plants every morning nevertheless.

Mike prepares to fish this afternoon
Even though it’s summertime right now, fall is coming. Yes, it is. I know because it’s been autumn and Halloween at Joann Fabrics for about a month. And surely you’ve seen all the “Back to School” supplies at the marts. And this relates to tomato plants because the days are getting shorter, and tomatoes don’t like that. The window of opportunity for ripening tomatoes draws slowly to a close. KW



4 comments:

Chris said...

Did it get to 114? We're at 102 right now. Dan is out running errands before he gets his knee done tomorrow and asked if I wanted to go. I said, "No, it's too hot out there!" Thankfully he said he could get what he needed without me.

Kathy said...

Officially, I think it's 107 right now. On our thermometer, it's 114 and flirting with 115. Whatever the temp, we can all agree it's HOT!

Hallie said...

I planted some radishes for Nick that didn't do anything but immediately bolt. I had a nice crop of peas, but probably didn't pick some of them fast enough. I planted a second stand next to the deck where it could climb on the skirt. Primo discovered that he likes peas, so he pretty much got all of those before I could.

Kathy said...

When I plant seeds that don't mature as I envision, I figure I'm not out much but my effort. I think twice about expensive plants, though. Too bad about Nick's radishes and your peas. The first year Bess was here -- when she was just a puppy, she discovered the fun of plucking green tomatoes off the bush. I would find half-eaten tomatoes every day.