Thursday, January 17, 2019

A DIFFERENT SHADE OF RED


Citation The Cades Cove Collection Dinner Plate“I’ll want new dishes,” I said to Mike, who doesn’t quite understand that we can’t have apples when the new décor is strawberries and blueberries – not to mention that the green isn't right. And anyway, those apple dishes were premiums from a grocery store -- $1.99 per five-piece place-setting with $50 purchase. I was feeding teenagers in those days, so it was easy to collect the dishes. As we initially put the farmhouse together, it just happened that we found wallpaper that coordinated well, but I always thought we didn’t need to use them forever. It’s time for a change.

“White?” offered daughter Hallie. No, I said. With a white kitchen, we now need a splash or two of real color.

Strictly speaking, the new dishes don’t have to be new, and knowing that there’s a glut on the dish market, I’d be happy to find the “right” pattern at a thrift store.While it's true that I don't want to pay a lot for "farm" dishes, it's another way to reduce, re-use, rethink.

Not all strawberry patterns – and there are quite a few – are created equal. Some are just berries and have no depth. Some are melamine or Corelle (too “low end”). Some are too high end, even though Lenox suggests “elegant everyday dinnerware for every occasion.” I want one that’s right for the place. Perhaps the biggest consideration is the green. Our new green wall is pretty bright. (We might have to tone it down, but that’s a discussion for another day.)

Vintage Ardalt Lenwile China Mugs Butterflies and Strawberries Gold Decorated Cups Springtime Pattern Set of 4 - 8 Available
Image from eBay
As I began searching patterns, I suddenly remembered that I’ve collected the strawberry theme in the past. When I graduated from college in the early ‘70s, my first job was in Boston. I was intrigued by strawberries and bought a mug, ramekins, a jam jar, and several pinkish/reddish glass pieces. I thought it was an East Coast thing, but I read that strawberries were big in the ‘70s.

I almost never used the ramekins, and come to think of it, I haven’t seen them in years. I'd like them back now, please. (Never get rid of anything.)

And the strawberry theme isn’t just for dishes. Designs are out there in many formats if you want them. ("Strawberry Shortcake," forever!!) KW

4 comments:

Chris said...

Ahh, new dishes! I love dishes! I look forward to following your decision making. (Guys don't quite understand our need for just the right look, but it *is* important!)

Hallie said...

I really think we had one of those strawberry mugs during the growing up years. It looks very familiar. You're welcome to come over to go antiquing with me!

Kathy said...

Yes, I still have the mug. I just didn't take my own picture. Mother used to serve my tea in that mug. She said I drank my tea slowly and that mug would keep it warm longer.

You're probably lucky that the traffic in Seattle scares me spitless. Otherwise, I would visit often. And I'd probably have way more stuff -- more fabric, more yarn, more . . . well, more!

Kathy said...

Oh -- and Chris, I agree that the right look *is* important.