Sunday, January 27, 2019

PULLING IT ALL TOGETHER . . .


In March 2011, I posted about this little booklet, Doll Dresses (here), published by American Thread Co. (Star Book No. 161) in the late ‘50s. Each pattern contained changes for different doll sizes, among them 8” Ginny, 10” Jill, 11.5” Barbie, etc. Crochet patterns for dolls were scarce at that time, and my mid-century little girl imagination was totally captivated. I wanted to learn to crochet, and Mother taught me.

Among the items I made from the little booklet were several muu muus for my extensive family of diminutive dolls. Muu muus were popular in the late ‘50s as we welcomed Hawaii as our 50th state. The crocheted muu muu was a simple pattern – lots of practice with single, double, and treble crochet.

In the comments of the post from 2011, Chris asked to see the actual muu muus. Well, I didn’t know where they were, and sometimes it’s difficult to take the trip down memory lane that happens when I look through my old stuff. When I open that little suitcase filled to the brim with doll clothes, now old and soiled, I wonder what I should with it. How can I preserve it? Why should I preserve it? And yet, these are the things that are truly mine.

Well, I eventually found the muu muus – and several other items that I made from the little book. Then I couldn’t find the little book. But the other day, I pulled a book from the shelf and Doll Dresses came out with it. I was so happy because I had just been thinking again about that muu muu pattern. I’m making tiny clothes for a mini American Girl doll, and I think she’d like a muu muu, if I can make the pattern work.

I like to crochet for the diminutive dolls. It certainly takes longer than sewing, but on the other hand, bulky seams are eliminated. After all, it doesn't really take all that long. Thread must be worked tightly, something I didn’t understand as a child. KW



3 comments:

Chris said...

Did you make all those when you were a child? Amazing!! I think you did a wonderful job. And now you'll have fun making them again. I think she'll like a muu muu or two for her doll.

Hallie said...

I am so amused at this fashion trend of the 50s! It warms my heart to know that child Kathy had fun with this project.

Kathy said...

Hi Chris and Hallie!

In the '50s, Joni and Pat vacationed in Hawaii, and Joni told us all about muu muus. I think she brought the fabric -- little Hawaiian characters on kayaks or something -- and Mother made me a muu muu. I often wore it in the evenings, and one day I discovered the back was threadbare. I literally wore the back right out of it. I made myself another, but it was fussier and not as comfortable.

I do remember having fun crocheting the muu muus, but I can tell you I struggle now to interpret this pattern and make it come out right mathematically. Mother probably helped me quite a bit.