Tuesday, March 5, 2019

SNOW AND ICE


February 26

Mike had an appointment the other day, so he dropped me off at Albertson’s where I spent 45 minutes shopping at my leisure. During these cold weeks, we’ve just stopped at the store long enough to pick up the basics, and it felt good to replenish our food supply, especially dairy and produce.  But somehow, I never get everything I need. I hadn't been home an hour before I started a new list.

February 26




The month of January was relatively mild, but winter hit in February and is still with us here on the 5th day of March. It was 10 degrees when I got up at 6:00 this morning. Mid-day the sun will be warm enough to melt a bit of snow. The main thoroughfares have been cleared, but the ground is still white with snow.

March 1
I enjoyed watching the snow and icicles on the shed roof, but when son Clint came over on Sunday, he suggested Mike remove the overhang to eliminate potential damage. I took one last picture, and Mike broke the overhanging snow and ice with a rake and then removed the snow from the asphalt with the 4-wheeler and blade.

Sunday, March 3 (final)
Speaking of watching nature, I've enjoyed watching the days gradually become longer, but next Sunday (the 10th), we’ll return to daylight savings time, which seems to ruin my little mental game. I’ll have to operate according to the clock for a while instead of intuitively performing my chores according to the daylight. Toggling back and forth between standard and daylight time is a controversial subject, especially since we have now shortened standard time to four months. It appears that both the Washington state and Idaho legislatures are considering solutions, but this will undoubtedly take time. KW


1 comment:

Hallie said...

I maintain that no one has EVER said, "I love the time change". Sure, in the fall you might hear "I love sleeping in an extra hour", but I believe that the general consensus is that the time change is terrible. It would make me VERY happy if Washington stopped observing the time change. I don't care which time we keep--either is fine with me. If enough states do it, Federal legislation will follow.