Monday, March 18, 2019

SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE


Spring is on its way. The snow is rapidly melting in temps that daily reach 50 or more. The first crocus bloom. Spirits are lifted, and people are cheerful. But – don’t plant the garden yet. All danger of frost is not past.

Saturday (March 16) my P.E.O. Chapter held its annual rummage sale. The date was early, but shoppers came out in droves and stood in long lines to buy their used goods, just glad for the opportunity to get out of the house and go “yard saling.” It proved to be great timing. We netted more than $2300.

Our sisters bring wonderful things to the sale, and this year, I donated a few treasured keepsakes myself – those things that are carefully wrapped in tissue paper, stored in boxes, and will never see the light of day again. The way I look at it, for the price of my things and an additional monetary donation, I can cart away other things. As I explained this to one of the husband helpers, he suggested we forget the sale and just make the monetary donation. Yes, we’re a group of mostly seniors and working the sale is harder every year.

Anyway, here are some things I brought home:
·    Two mugs in Pfaltzgraff’s “Pistoulet” pattern, which I happen to be considering for the farmhouse. This is surely a sign and will give us a chance to assess the colors before making a decision.
·      Two salad bowls in a Gibson pattern – pretty but maybe not keepers.

·      Doll – a very well loved “My First Huggums” by Madame Alexander, 1977. This doll is another repair challenge. I just can’t pass up these orphans – or a Madame Alexander face.

·      Three books for Mike, including Grisham’s The Reckoning, which he has been waiting to read.
·      A copper pot – perhaps for small wood near the fireplace.
·      A bag of sewing trims and scraps – not great but left at the end of the sale.
·      A Corning “Cornflower” 6-cup casserole with lid
·      . . . and other odds and ends

An item overlooked for the listing is the ancient Mickey Mouse cookie cutter. At least, I think it's a cookie cutter. What else could it be?
 
And Mike’s personal find was an “Old Hickory” knife out of a box of kitchen utensils. The individual who donated it said it was the first knife her husband had given her after they were married. Mike wasted no time refurbishing both the handle and the blade, and it’s now at home in my knife block.

Casserole pieces in Corning’s “Cornflower” pattern disappear with the first wave of shoppers, but the “Spice of Life” pattern does not. Isn’t that interesting? A 6-cup casserole in “Spice of Life” was left at the end of the sale, so I brought it home, but again, perhaps not to keep.


In the end, clean-up seemed easier than usual. I don’t think we had as much stuff this year, especially in bedding and clothing, but a lot of stuff went out the door with the shoppers. I have yet to determine exactly what folks want, but perhaps our adopted slogan just fits: “Something for everyone.” KW

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Great haul, both for you and the P.E.O. I look forward to hearing about the health of the club.

Chris said...

I like those mugs! I'll be waiting to hear how you think the pattern will work at the farm. Looks like you scored some good things. Has the doll joined her new friends in your sewing room?

Kathy said...

Thanks Chris! I don't know what I'll do with the doll. I don't exactly need her. She needs a new body, and I haven't decided whether to copy the one she has, make another sort of stuffed outfit in a pretty pink, or give her a regular body that could be dressed. I haven't found patterns or tutorials on this subject, so evidently I'm pioneering.