Monday, July 22, 2019

AN ABANDONED HOME


Several weeks ago, we cut and loaded some of the burned trees at the bottom of the lane. It’s mostly Mike’s work, but I help with the lift if I’m needed. Mike has been gradually unloading the wood off the old truck, and I assist when called upon. (No, I don’t volunteer, but I help when called.)





The nest is under the left corner of the blue mat.
Saturday, Mike discovered a quail’s nest behind the shed, loaded with eggs. We watched the nest for sign of parent activity, but there was none. I suspect they found better accommodations elsewhere, and that’s as it should be. This place was definitely vulnerable, being in the low rent district as it is.


15 quail eggs abandoned
As I went out to check the nest again this morning, a family (parents and many children) moved through our yard. The babies were enjoying their outing, running and trying their wings. The quail are such fun to watch, especially when they are out and about with little ones. We see lots of quail here in town, and we have seen them at the farm, too, though I don't remember seeing any this year.

The hummingbirds had made a sort of comeback at the farm, though. Last week they were finishing a half batch of nectar every two days. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

So you think the parents just abandoned the nest, not that something happened to them? So sad! We have so many quail in our yard and I just love watching them. Especially the one that always seems to be gawking at the tail end and then hurries to catch up, only to gawk again.

Kathy said...

It's possible that something happened to the parents, of course. I think sometimes the birds do realize they've made a location mistake. And I don't know how long the nest had been there. At any rate, it was a terrible place for a nest -- no protection, unshaded.

Yes, the little one bringing up the rear is just the cutest. Once upon a time, Mother, Chuck, and I were sitting on the kitchen porch when a quail family came through and headed into the grove. Suddenly the last one ran down toward. The brood waited until he came back and then they moved on. We laughed. It looked for all the world like he took a potty break.