Thursday, July 4, 2019

HAPPY FOURTH!


The warmth of summer has yet to settle here. Seems like as soon as we develop a little heat, a system moves through and we’re cool again. I’m still wearing my winter robe of an evening while Mike covers up with a fleece throw. And in the middle of the night, we pulled on a second warm blanket.

But – it’s a lovely day, really, and I’m reminiscing over picnics past, those of my childhood, and they were delightful. I’m talking about backyard picnics where everyone contributed something to the meal. Sister Harriet said they happened frequently back in the day, and she would know. By the time I came along, these impromptu picnics barely had ten years to go, though no one thought of it that way, I'm sure.

The backyard picnic wasn’t too hard on the hostess. A lot of preparation wasn’t necessary. Well, okay – we had to carry out tables and chairs, lawn blankets, and perhaps a chaise or two, but that wasn’t so hard, was it?

As for the food, very little coordination went into it. No one worried about a balanced meal, or even if two pots of baked beans appeared on the table. We knew we could count on Psyche to bring her fruit salad and on Lolita for great fried chicken. And everyone contributed from his garden. I remember sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and green onions. There was plenty of food. And we always had potato chips. My favorite! In fact, the only time we had potato chips was at a summer picnic. Remember Nalley’s Potato Chips? (Remember Nalley’s?) Was there soda pop, you ask. No, just ice water, iced tea, and a pitcher of lemonade. (Keep refilling those ice cube trays!)

Of course, it isn’t a picnic without a chocolate cake, so yesterday I made one in memory of those old-time gatherings.

And then there was lots of great visiting – even until the sun went down. I remember the time that one of those outdoor chairs dumped Ebba over backwards. Thankfully she wasn’t hurt, and she was the first to burst out laughing. The men gathered round and set her and the chair to rights.

Well, that was the ‘50s. So, what happened? You can blame television if you want, but change is just inevitable. The old people got older and began to disappear. The young people got married and also disappeared, in a way. You can only depend on a group dynamic to last so long. And then you just can’t get it back the way it was.

But – the memories are priceless. KW

4 comments:

Chuck said...

Those are great memories, and I remember them well. Sometimes in Orofino and sometimes on the farm. Wherever, we all had a good time. Except for the occasional chair upset, I don't remember anyone getting hurt at those outings. Have a Happy Fourth of July 2019.

Kathy said...

It was never too much trouble to eat outside, it seems, and I don't remember flies and yellowjackets and the things I find prohibitive today. But then, I was a kid and happily unaware of the downside, if there was one.

Chris said...

Hmm, I'm trying to remember if we had 4th of July picnics, and I can't remember any in town. At Canyon it was often just a regular work day for Dad and I'm guessing we just had a regular dinner. Actually, I don't remember many picnics growing up. Yours sound fun. And yummy.

Kathy said...

I think this was a tradition that began with my Portfors grandparents and their friends. My folks came in on it, and then as the group grew older, they took over the hosting. I don't remember a picnic in anyone else's yard, but Harriet said she did.